Dragonlaurel's journal- Community Garden

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I am just catching your journal, DL; very interesting! What a great group we are on ss - all with different backgrounds and experience. Happy belated birthday! I love the finds you got on your day! Around here, canning jars are like gold - people want real money for them.... At our local "thrift" I saw a small box of 10 jars for $20. I can buy new for less!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Thanks for the birthday wishes ! I had a really good day :)

Thrift stores can be cheaper on jars if the pricing person is in a good mood that day or just wants to get rid of extra stuff. It probably helped that I volunteer at that store sometimes. Friends in the right places.

Check regular stores now to see if they are getting rid of theirs. Many stores only carry them seasonally (like Family Dollar) and need extra room to put out Xmas stock. They might put them on clearance. I saw $ 5.00 a box for new quart jars at one place. They went fast. :( I couldn't that day.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Hi Bee,
I didn't talk about my birthday till it was the day. Turned 45, which isn't bad. Had a good day, did some thrift shopping, and had amazing weather. Hubby was sweet too.

Those ideas about doing the heavy work , changing the oil, building stuff for you tend to be accompanied by too many chauvinistic
ideas about what a woman should be like. Some of them need women to seem weak and helpless so they could feel like "the man". I can't play that game. :smack Not with a straight face anyway.

I hope you find somebody who will appreciate you, but you have good stuff going for you either way. This might give you a laugh:

Mr Right might be a dream
Mr Right Now 's never what he seemed.

Laura

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I am not into playing the weak female either. Just not me. I'm a better carpenter than SO. He can't stand to let me build anything. We always get into a fight, because his feelings get hurt, when I try to tell him how to square something or whatever. Since we are together 24/7, it is hard for me to just go out and build something by myself. He wants to be the "man" and build it. :barnie
If I start something without him, he wants to know why I did it this way and why didn't I do it that way. I get so frustrated.
but he does the same thing when I am cooking. He wants to micro manage everything. After I walked out of the kitchen a few times, telling him, he can cook it himself, he has finally got the hint.

I grew up being told by my father: a woman's place is in the kitchen and the bedroom. But my mother and grandmother taught me "NOT". :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Oh, I married Mr. Right.....just didn't realize his first name was Always.... :p

:lol: :gig

45 is the new 35, didn't you know? :D

I don't really want to find a man at this late date....all the hard work is finished. It would be just like a man to show up now, after all the work is done! :rolleyes: :lol: :gig

Nope....never more content to be alone than now, especially since the Bat is moving in and will be a great companion. And SHE actually likes to do SS things and chores! ;)

I so wished you lived closer, Laurel....my mom gave away several dozens of jars recently and I met a lady this summer who has a basement full and wanted to give them to me. I am full up with jars and wished I could have taken them to give to those who really need them.

Sad....wish I could get the givees together with the wantees.... :(

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Denise-
I like building bookshelves myself. This is very good since I'm one of those people that keeps getting more books. I have let guys hold something in place for me but wont let them take over. I just say "this is my project and I'm going to finish it". :tongue My husband barely steps foot in the kitchen if I'm cooking. Our kitchen is so tiny- he really cant.
Glad you listened to Mom and your Grandmother. Smart ladies.

Bee-
Turning 45 was fine. I lied like a bad rug about 40 though! I went 39, 27 again, 27 again, 27 again, 43, 44, 45. Didn't want all the stupid 40 jokes so I picked a number I liked and used it till I was safely past the landmark number.

Your Mom sounds like great company actually. You wont ever have all the hard work done. You' ll just find something new to try next. I would love to be able to hang out with you. I have a feeling it would be so much fun and we could learn from comparing notes.
Those jars would have been great. I hope she put them on Craigs list or Freecycle. If she still has them post a flyer at a feed store and they will be gone like lightning.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I would love to hang out with you also! :love How much fun would that be? :)

You know what I would love? I would love to have a huge, yearly MEET of all the SSers and have a huge camp out, trading days, skills demo, etc. like they do for some of these mags out there.

Anyone have some acreage suitable for camping and are centrally located in the US? And would host a meet and greet of SSers? :D

It could even become a big trading days type of thing....Oh, if I only had a farm! :hit

Can you imagine it? People coming from all over to have fun, exchange ideas, eat good food, gather round the camp fires and shoot the breeze, make friends and just BE.....I'd go! :frow

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Hot Springs, Ark. is fairly central but we cant fit many people into the apartment. :barnie It's a beautiful area at least.
:frow If I could get my land, we could practice building a cabin, :weee and barn raising. :celebrate Somebody could teach me how to milk goats. :idunno I could try building a cob oven and fire pit for a summer kitchen. We could build a coop too.
Looks like we need a different host for the first year. Or everybody would go home exhausted. :th

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, another Birthday....Sounds like you had a great day!
I dreaded hitting 45...then once I got there, it wasn't so bad. :p
Hey Bee, I like the idea of a SS meetup! Im not very "central" her ein IN, but we DO have 5 acres....flat land, some open, some woods....and would be a host...if everyone wanted to do it. Sounds lie a great time! I would be able to pick everyones brains for even MORE ideas about this place. We have plenty parking area, and a large firepit..as long as it didnt rain, we would be fine. We tend to hold water a little bit here. :/