Elwood and family's journal of our ss journey

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We own way to much stuff lol. Vacuum bags are a life saver!
We gave away quite a bit of stuff we can live without. Although giving away the back up kitchen aid mixer almost killed dw.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Happy Trails! I've had to move many times, and it does have the one good part of showing you what things are really important and worth keeping over all others. (I also pack well, and can fit an amazing amount of STUFF into a Yukon!):lol:
I hope the doctor's appointment goes well, and that your trip does too. We'll be waiting for updates when you have time. Take some pictures: of each other, of the way the Yukon is packed, of the journey. Hopefully, you'll only be making this trip once. :D

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had a great time at worlds of fun. It was hot! Heat advisory was in effect. We drank lots of water and we are beat tired. Good nights sleep coming before we head to des moines in the morning

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Winterset is a very nice place. My dw grew up there. Ds was born on john waynes birthday. He is a huge fan. We are planning a stop there today.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@elwood I was telling my husband about your trip, and about Worlds of Fun, and Winterset. (He lived quite a few years just north of KC, MO.) And he was asking WHY you would go through KC or Des Moines on your way from Portland to Kentucky. (For most of his life, he's been a point A to Point B kind of traveler.) Although he conceded that it is NOT the way he would have gone, he then said it sounds very much like a path I would take. I considered that a great compliment! I'm glad you're sharing your trip with us. It does indeed sound like a trip I would make. I hope your weather is good, construction is light, and the hand of the Lord is protecting you along the way. Have a wonderful trip.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Does your shed have a gambrel barn roof? if so, you can put sleeping lofts "upstairs" and have more living area. A friend of mine did that and it worked well. Later she added a covered back porch for a washer, dryer and upright freezer.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
received_648555175640408.jpeg
received_694606811005739.jpeg

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Once camper is set up then it is figuring out a chicken area. Tractor supply has meat chics. Climate here is warm enough to still get them.
That would be our first home grown food in a long while. Garden will have to wait until next year but i plan to get it dug up at least before winter. Be as ready as possible for next spring.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah i was not happy but put it aside and kept pushing forward. Best friend is coming up from tennesse to help me frame out and wire the house up when it arrives hopefully tomorrow