Elwood and family's journal of our ss journey

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome back - glad your all moved in.

Congrats to your wife :D I keep dreaming about getting a horse - I grew up with them and I do miss riding but my brother's girlfriend has horses so I can ride sometimes.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Glad things are going well :)

Sounds like you are keeping very busy!

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So i get home last night to find that there is no water to the barn or the chicken house. :( We have 3 wells on the property. One for the house and two for the rest of the property. One I knew needed a new motor for the pump when we bought the place, you leave an electric motor sitting in the weather and it will stop working (antique pump but hey it will work with a new motor). The third well we share with the neighbor. He uses it for his cattle. It was late when i got a chance to look at it and hopefully it is just a blown fuse.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are accelerating our plans due to the way things are headed. We have purchased 25 more laying hens (4 months old) and 2 roos. We are also getting our first rabbits for meat production this weekend. We are looking for goats now. Found some one but her price seems a little steep. We are stocking up on feed for all of them and for us as well.

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had some Nigerians I was getting for $300 a piece until I snooper around on a few sites I didn't expect would have anything and found some for $80! Sometimes just a little extra searching will pay off big time. What breed of goats are you getting?

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well the ones we found are dwarf nigerians. They want $250 a piece though.

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yeah they're a rare breed and can be expensive in a lot of places. It's kind of odd since they're tiny.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well we had a good weekend hope everyone else did too. The heat wave is still kicking our butts. Saturday we picked up our rabbits and 4 laying hens and a roo. They have given us 7 eggs so far!! not bad considering the 104 degree heat and the shock of being moved. I need to build some better laying boxes for them this week. They are saying we might get some rain on Wednesday so we are crossing our fingers.

Chad

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think y'all have plenty of company with the heat wave...just hit 106.3F (in the shade) here. :th

Hoping the rain comes to visit you today, we have small chances for Thursday and Friday. :fl

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
well we were in a severe thunderstorm watch last night, lot of wind and a 1/4 inch of rain. Not nearly enough but it is more than alot of people are getting so we are happy to have it. Luckily it seems to have cooled us down some as well. Not supposed to see triple digits for the rest of the week at least. I am sure the rabbits and chickens will be happy to have the cooler weather. Only got one egg yesterday and I am blaming the heat for the lack of production.