FarmerJamie - A new beginning

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
:ep What breed are those red hens? I had one just like her and loved her looks. I had that same flock last year.............

I peaked at school one time and SS is now banned at school :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
YES I DID IT TODAY....I PEEKED ON THE FORUM OVER LUNCH...DIDN'T LOG IN TO POST THOUGH....HAD TO GET UP AFTER 10 MINUTES AND WALK AROUND JUST TO GET AWAY FROM THE TEMPTATION....

I got spoiled over vacation! ;)
I had my head stuck waaaaaaaaaayyyy back in a cabinet, so no temptation :lol: I have missed everybody the last few days I have been working too though, so I know how ya feel.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
FarmerJamie said:
YES I DID IT TODAY....I PEEKED ON THE FORUM OVER LUNCH...DIDN'T LOG IN TO POST THOUGH....HAD TO GET UP AFTER 10 MINUTES AND WALK AROUND JUST TO GET AWAY FROM THE TEMPTATION....

I got spoiled over vacation! ;)
I had my head stuck waaaaaaaaaayyyy back in a cabinet, so no temptation :lol: I have missed everybody the last few days I have been working too though, so I know how ya feel.
I did to but luckily you guys had stuff to work at also.....

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
:ep What breed are those red hens? I had one just like her and loved her looks. I had that same flock last year.............

They're supposed to be Golden Buffs/Red Stars? I got them from a buddy in a multi-chicken swap.

Their eggs are as big as the Barred Rocks, but they lay very reliably. I also have a RIR hen that I saved from someone sending to freezer camp because they had to move.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
BarredBuff said:

They're supposed to be Golden Buffs/Red Stars? I got them from a buddy in a multi-chicken swap.

Their eggs are as big as the Barred Rocks, but they lay very reliably. I also have a RIR hen that I saved from someone sending to freezer camp because they had to move.
My hen was a RIR/BO cross, I loved that hen. She was pretty and laid wonderfully. When I get my Buffs I may separate my red roo and BO hens and make that cross, they were good chickens. I had 11 BRs ( I dont like BRs) and 3 RI Red hens.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
FarmerJamie said:
BarredBuff said:

My hen was a RIR/BO cross, I loved that hen. She was pretty and laid wonderfully. When I get my Buffs I may separate my red roo and BO hens and make that cross, they were good chickens. I had 11 BRs ( I dont like BRs) and 3 RI Red hens.
BRs are good "starter" birds. They are a bit bossy, but I love 'em. I have 10 and 2 of them can be really mean to the other hens, but since we don't use them for breeding, I don't have roo.

Now that we have 4 breeds, the family is warming up to the idea of replacing some of the BR's with new hens of new varieties. (this coming summer will be their 3rd production summer).

In a few months, I need to get a new coop built.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
BarredBuff said:
FarmerJamie said:

BRs are good "starter" birds. They are a bit bossy, but I love 'em. I have 10 and 2 of them can be really mean to the other hens, but since we don't use them for breeding, I don't have roo.

Now that we have 4 breeds, the family is warming up to the idea of replacing some of the BR's with new hens of new varieties. (this coming summer will be their 3rd production summer).

Mine were bossy and old. ANd somebody wanted to buy them so I sold them and my red hens. I guess Im hardcore at the culling. If they dont meet my requirement Im ready to send them to the freezer.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
FarmerJamie said:
BarredBuff said:

Mine were bossy and old. ANd somebody wanted to buy them so I sold them and my red hens. I guess Im hardcore at the culling. If they dont meet my requirement Im ready to send them to the freezer.
Yeppers!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Placed my "special variety" seed orders in the mail today.

Any optimism was dashed by the multiple inches of snow we are getting and are scheduled to get over the next few days.

Had an interesting discussion today at work - all started by someone being asked how much a half pint of skim milk cost in the cafeteria - $1

A couple of us old(er) guys started laughing as one us said :old back in my day, that milk cost 5 cents and it was whole milk :old

We got to talking about how times have changed and the conversation turned to my gardening and attempts to be be self-sufficient. (I even mentioned this site).

Any advice on how to encourage these young, fresh from college youngsters to explore this way of life?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Bring them some fresh from your garden produce, especially tomatoes.