Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I held out until 1p. Had a piece of toast and an egg, 1/2 an avocado and 6 cherry tomatoes. Then I had "dessert." Some greek yogurt with chia seeds. I was hungry after working outside all morning! Already looking forward to dinner. :hide
Sounds like a great start to me! That was a long morning fast

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I held out until 1p. Had a piece of toast and an egg, 1/2 an avocado and 6 cherry tomatoes. Then I had "dessert." Some greek yogurt with chia seeds. I was hungry after working outside all morning! Already looking forward to dinner. :hide
You're making healthy choices, IMO. I'm a pretty big fan of listening to your body cues. Sometimes that makes it hard to fast, but I believe that I probably shouldn't be fasting then. I'm okay with waiting until my physiologic stars align before fasting. Ignoring body signals gets people dead.

I was hungry 2 hours after my lunch. I had milk. Confession: it's chocolate milk. It's a problem for me. I solved the problem by drinking it all. :gig So it's going to be a 20:4 instead of a 23:1 and I'm completely okay with that! It's still better than yesterday, and last month. I wish I could be the >10 day fast once a year type, but I'm not. I have to be in the consistent baby step group. The consistency part is hard!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Did a little reading. Mistake! I'm finding conflicting information. Is my morning coffee, with cream, actually breaking my fast? I've read that anything under 50 calories is ok....and I've read that anything with calories is not ok. ARGH!

I have cut down from a couple of healthy glugs of cream to a tablespoon. Not sure I can go cream-less.

Whatever the consensus is - the scale is moving in the right direction so until it stops - I'll probably continue to enjoy cream in my coffee, lol.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Did a little reading. Mistake! I'm finding conflicting information. Is my morning coffee, with cream, actually breaking my fast? I've read that anything under 50 calories is ok....and I've read that anything with calories is not ok. ARGH!

I have cut down from a couple of healthy glugs of cream to a tablespoon. Not sure I can go cream-less.

Whatever the consensus is - the scale is moving in the right direction so until it stops - I'll probably continue to enjoy cream in my coffee, lol.
Cream or not depends on your goals. If you're fasting for weight loss, it's fine. It can set really sensitive people back a little bit. I believe it's more about the bit of protein and carb in the cream. Protein can increase insulin, particularly getting an excess amount of "incomplete" protein.

If you're fasting for autophagy and have high stakes (like combatting cancer), then cream in coffee is a hard pass.

I would roll with the "mistake" for a month, consistently. If you don't like the results, tweak one thing for the next month, etc.