FJ's New Construction Checklist

Simpleterrier

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So spray foam doesn't breathe. There is closed cell and open cell foam. I haven't noticed much difference in the two they both mold. A house has to breathe the tighter you make it the more u need to control fresh air in by an erv or hrv. With out ventilation u can also get sick house syndrome where bacteria can grow in your house and make u sicker.

I would highly not recommend a geo to anyone . A geo is a water to air heat pump. An air to air HP is way more efficient and the initial cost up front can be close to half. Also a geos life expectancy is less than manufacturing claims. Most geos get filled with local untested water and actually needs to be filled by filtered and pure water or the heat exchanger will die.

We're I live fresh air into the house in a controlled way is becoming code. Not an erv yet just a pipe ran directly into the ra of an HVAC system with a manual damper

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So spray foam doesn't breathe. There is closed cell and open cell foam. I haven't noticed much difference in the two they both mold. A house has to breathe the tighter you make it the more u need to control fresh air in by an erv or hrv. With out ventilation u can also get sick house syndrome where bacteria can grow in your house and make u sicker.

I would highly not recommend a geo to anyone . A geo is a water to air heat pump. An air to air HP is way more efficient and the initial cost up front can be close to half. Also a geos life expectancy is less than manufacturing claims. Most geos get filled with local untested water and actually needs to be filled by filtered and pure water or the heat exchanger will die.

We're I live fresh air into the house in a controlled way is becoming code. Not an erv yet just a pipe ran directly into the ra of an HVAC system with a manual damper
why not get the honeywell damper? its programmmable and works really well.

Simpleterrier

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes u can and it does. But comes down to price. And if not a super tight house most people shut or block the fresh air intake. I have two kids my house gets plenty of fresh air all year long so for me a pipe and damper is pointless but if u work from home or are old and don't leave or even open windows then that is when it.is needed. we open our windows some people I know that would be a sin

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This time of year is tree pollen season. A yellow film gets on everything. Most people keep their windows closed for that reason.

yes, and other things too, like some flowers/smells i can't tolerate. i prefer to not wheeze. when i had not caulked up a lot of the exterior wall cracks this room used to get quite a bit of drafting through it when the wind blew. now at least i don't feel a lot of air moving but we do get plenty of "fresh" air anyways. some neighbors burn wood and don't have great fireplaces so they smell mostly of creosote. winter days when the air is still you can see the layers of smoke they give off.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Nor... should you get one that is oversized for your home. Our first wood stove was a Papa Bear Fisher. Awesome stove, took a 2' log, but that thing would cook us out! We down sized to a small Jotul, and it does great heating our 1000 s.f. living area.
Yes, need to do some more research on this

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
1. I don't know enough about Geothermal to venture a worthy opinion re: cost/benefit ratios. I would definitely utilize passive solar, including heat sinks, N/S orientation, appropriate roof overhangs to provide summer cooling and winter solar gain. I would add some solar panels on S side ducted into house for heat. I would also add solar for hot water, perhaps tied in with a heat system: wood stove or ? inside rocket stove if there is even such a thing.

2. Handicap accessible. YES! Don't plan to add any HA features later. Cheaper to do it ALL at time of build. Include: w/c accessibility to all rooms, including bathroom. W/C accessible shower and toilet. Ramp that meets ADA standards (1"/ft. rise). Keep in mind that it takes an area at least 5' x 5' to turn a w/c around. Make at least part of the kitchen w/c accessible for the cook! HA will greatly increase your resale value.

3. Fireplaces tend to be not very economical in BTU production.

5. Canning kitchen... one can always dream!!! At least a double sink. And a pantry for food storage, and equipment storage.

9. Generator, directly hooked into electrical. My MIL has a LP model that is set up to come on automatically when power goes out. This is the only way she can comfortably live at home, alone, @ 88 y.o.

A. Laundry on ground level, near bedrooms. Clothesline easy access if you like to hang clothes out. I want to put up a rotary clothes line.

B. Yard set up for easy access to electric and plumbing for animal care. Easy access for plumbing to garden. garden close enough to house to be able to run out for quick harvest during meal prep.
Geothermal is popular here.

The outside layout design will be fun to do. :)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
@tortoise thank you, I need to digest your suggestions. Not able to logically construct a thought right now

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
With this CV issue, now is not the time to be making big plans! I think we're all pretty much in hunker down mode.
It's more of the sinus crap preventing me from thinking straight

Latest posts