Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
iam...when you leave half the numbers out of your calculation you can make it say anything you want. They leave FOOD and ENERGY out of the equation. How long can any of us go without FOOD or ENERGY???
How can they justify leaving FOOD & ENERGY out of the rate of inflation??!!?? :th

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
"justify"

heck that word isn't in their dictionary

"they" make up whatever they want

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
"justify"

heck that word isn't in their dictionary

"they" make up whatever they want
That's right, we're talking about the government; I forgot...! :he

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
They don't leave food and energy out. They just include a lot of stuff that doesn't matter. Like flat screen TV's used to cost an avg of 2200.00. Same size now cost 504.00. That's a big negative offsetting the positives. It's always been calculated that way, because they are giving overall inflation.

Look how much more freezers cost now than they did 5 years ago. Big demand for storing food.

Yeah we shop at Sams and the price increases are amazing. The only thing that is still cheap is milk and eggs. Butter and bacon and Meat have all doubled in the past few years. They try to make it look like it hasn't by making containers smaller.

The only thing not going up is wages. Of course if you have a job you should be happy as the thinking goes.

I don't see it getting better anytime soon. At least in a few days we'll be able to blame a different cast of characters. I hope I die before America does. I can't stand to see what greed has done to this country.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is me whenever I go shopping anymore :ep then :th especially since the prices don't just go up a few cents (.05-.10)at a time but costs are jumping by bigger amounts (.50-1.00) nearly every week depending on what I'm looking to buy. These amounts are only a guess but the idea here is the same. :rant

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
This is me whenever I go shopping anymore :ep then :th especially since the prices don't just go up a few cents (.05-.10)at a time but costs are jumping by bigger amounts (.50-1.00) nearly every week depending on what I'm looking to buy. These amounts are only a guess but the idea here is the same. :rant
That's right! The Wally World butter went up $.80, for instance; the little frozen pizzas went from $1 to $1.25. That's a huge percent for one item!:barnie

DH & I just went shopping this morning, & even HE noticed it. Unfortunately, when you live where we do your options are limited... :/

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I hate it when my hubby goes shopping. He buys a ton of stuff that I don't buy. Then, he complains about how much he spent on groceries, and that's there's nothing in the house to eat. :he

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I hate it when my hubby goes shopping. He buys a ton of stuff that I don't buy. Then, he complains about how much he spent on groceries, and that's there's nothing in the house to eat. :he
Typical guy.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Most economists predict that we're headed for hyperinflation due to the terrible spending habits of the former and present administrations in Washington. Also many of the big businesses that went to foreign countries have continued to grow and have hired hundreds of thousands of people. These people now have money like they have never had before which is leading to inflation in these foreign countries. Foreign inflation means higher prices here in the USA because the foreign workers are demanding (and getting) higher pay. Some economists are still predicting $5 to $6 per gal. at the gas pumps soon.

I guess people like me on a tiny fixed income will starve.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Boogity said:
I guess people like me on a tiny fixed income will starve.
Hi Boogity. I agree that things may get bad for those of us on fixed incomes, but that doesn't mean that we can do something to try to mitigate the situation. I see you are in a rural area, so there may be a lot of options open to you to make ends meet.

Grow a garden. Even a small garden, or one in containers, will help stretch your food dollars.

Raise chickens or other small animals. A few chickens can provide eggs to eat and/or trade with neighbors for other needed items, Rabbits are easy to raise, quite, "self replicating", and can be a great way to add meat to the table.

Just check out this forum for what others are doing to get some more ideas. While none of us will probably ever be truly self sufficient, we can all work at getting as close as we can to it. The important thing is to not wait on getting started. Learn as much as you can now, and get all of the experience that you can now, before things get really bad.