Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I hate it when my hubby goes shopping. He buys a ton of stuff that I don't buy. Then, he complains about how much he spent on groceries, and that's there's nothing in the house to eat. :he
Well, I should clarify that while DH usually goes WITH me, he is not in charge of the shopping...;) He gets his own cart & fills the front kiddie seat with junk food. :p But apparently even that has gone up, since he commented on the prices...

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sunshine - I like your avatar.

We have a very large garden (about 11,000 sq. ft.), 14 chickens (last time I counted), and 18 apple trees in the little orchard. We make our own soaps, and our root cellar is overflowing with all the jars of canned veggies, sacks of potatoes, and other things from the garden.

But I have never considered raising rabbits. Hmmmmmm. We have a spare barn (actually it's a big wood shed) and I have been thinking about getting some goats. But I don't know anything about them.

DW makes fresh pies for two mom-n-pop restaurants almost every evening - that's where most of our eggs, berries, and apples go. But the price on sugar is going through the roof! And good old fashioned lard is getting hard to find around here. Shhhhh I didn't say the "L" word did I? I get to deliver the pies at 5 AM just about every day.

We heat primarily with wood but I'm getting old and after my strokes came along all messin with that wood stuff is hard on the back. Would like to get one of those pellet stoves but I have two concerns . . .
1. They are too too darned expensive (no way!)
2. I don't like the idea of having to depend on someone else to provide the fuel - they can stop at any time and they can double or triple their prices at any time during a crisis. That's not at all self-sufficient.

Maybe I should invent a home owner's pellet maker. But there we go with handling all that wood again. Oh well, we'll survive as long as we're supposed to and then we'll graduate to something much better ;-)

Edited to correct spelling - I suck at spelling!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Grandma raised rabbits to feed the family during the depression. The poop is also great for fertilizer. The only thing I don't like about rabbits is they are too lean. Quail are easy to raise. You may want to look in to those too. My quail are very low maintenance.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Well Boogity, you're way ahead of a lot of us and are definitely not going to starve. :lol:

Adding some meat producers will certainly help with your food variety, but I'd say that you are in great shape not matter what comes our way.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I splurged and bought a whole gallon of virgin olive oil. Now I need to get another tub of lard and more butter. Butter prices sure have jumped lately. I should have stocked up earlier :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
some things are just cheaper in bulk like butter

I get the LandOLakes at Sams club in a 6 pack and it is soooo much cheaper than anywhere else

along with Extra Virgin Olive Oil....I buy that in the gallon size and it is super cheap at Sams

Hmmm...I gotta get my butt back to Sams but when I go there I spend like $200-300 and it sure "doesn't" feel like I am saving lol

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so I just stopped in to complain about butter!!!

Cost Co, 4 lb pack went form just under 8 bucks to 9 and change.

Ugggg!!!!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Yup. Butter prices have gone insane. It may be cheaper to just by cream and churn it my darn self!!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I heard the price of butter is up 18% this year! :th

Wish I had thought to buy more a few months ago, but isn't that the way it always goes...?? :/