Food Shortage

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
I'm going to need to learn to can veggies aren't I? :th
It might be wise. This is a good time to buy a canner and jars, before you really need it. If you wait to purchase jars for when you really need them they are hard to find. Don't save that task till harvest time.

A water bath canner and a pressure canner.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
A pressure canner without the weight and with the lid not cranked down can be used as a water bath canner. I have both, but I tell my students they don't have to. I want a second pressure canner!!!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I have a pressure canner given to me by my mother in law, I'm just scared to use it, scared it will blow up or something like that. :hu

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
I have a pressure canner given to me by my mother in law, I'm just scared to use it, scared it will blow up or something like that. :hu
ya, they look pretty intimidating!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
A pressure canner without the weight and with the lid not cranked down can be used as a water bath canner. I have both, but I tell my students they don't have to. I want a second pressure canner!!!
I hadn't though of that. But some people I know when they get to canning have two or three canners going all at the same time! Guess thats how it goes if you are canning bushels of stuff

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Wildsky said:
There was a lady here in town where I live. She was very experienced at canning. Even did classes to teach people. One day she replaced a seal on it. Did a batch or two.. It blew up in her face. Burned her really bad. You dont even see her in town any more. I heard she hides in her house now. So after hearing that story, my DH will not let me get a pressure canner. Only a water bath one. My grandma used to only use a water bath for every thing from meat to fruit. We never got sick. You just have to be smart and make sure the seal was good before you use the food..

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I live at high altitude and would have to pressure can.....so I don't. I ferment, freeze or dry. A food dehydrator will never blow up in your face.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
We use two water bat and two pressure canners every time we set up to can something. Saves a LOT of time.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The All American canner has no seal and the lid locks/screws down. It is very safe to operate as far as canners go. I personally would not take the risk with meat, soups for my family without using a pressure canner, that's just me. Have you looked into that brand to use?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sunny said:
Mackay said:
Wildsky said:
There was a lady here in town where I live. She was very experienced at canning. Even did classes to teach people. One day she replaced a seal on it. Did a batch or two.. It blew up in her face. Burned her really bad. You dont even see her in town any more. I heard she hides in her house now. So after hearing that story, my DH will not let me get a pressure canner. Only a water bath one. My grandma used to only use a water bath for every thing from meat to fruit. We never got sick. You just have to be smart and make sure the seal was good before you use the food..
It is seldom unsealed jars that are deadly because in that case many different bacteria can be present and one or more will give a rotten odor or taste to warn you. Pressure canning is used to reach a higher temperature in a shorter time. a water bath
can't go higher than the boiling point of water at your location. Cooking in boiling water can be safe as long as you boil long enough to have the heat penetrate all the way through the food to kill the bacteria. Such boiled foods are usually eaten in short order not left to hang around for months.
The big fear is botulism. Botulism can be prevented by killing the spores by cooking at 121 C (250 F) for 3 minutes (Water boils at 212F at sea level, lower at higher alttudes) so the spores are not destroyed. It is not the bacteria that kills it is the toxin produced by the bacteria. The botulinum toxin is destroyed by thorough cooking over the course of a few minutes, the spore itself is not killed by the temperatures reached with normal sea-level-pressure boiling, leaving it free to grow and produce the toxin when conditions are right.~gd

Latest posts