For REAL!??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
New Orleans is a big city. Must of took a lot of manpower. I would be interested to get the real facts on that one.

Doesn't sound like a gun would have helped that couple. Unless you carry it and make the family wait in the car while you clear the house every time you go home. As Me&the Gals stated a lot more people get shot with their own guns then shoot criminals. Rifles are great for hunting.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said: VT-chicklit--It's truly horrifying to live in a crime-infested area. It would be interesting, though, to know with that type of weapons these murders are being perpetrated
I do not live in a crime infested area. My town is rural, with a population of 450. My point is that if it can happen here to these people, it can happen to anyone anywhere. The wepon that was used to kill George and Anne was a knife. George was stabbed as he fought for his life and Anne had her throat slit.
http://www.wcax.com/global/story.asp?s=1981751&ClientType=Printable
http://cms.firehouse.com/web/online...o-In-Alleged-Arson-Deaths-Of-Couple-/46$32236

I guess my point is that a gun gives you a fighting chance when you find yourself in this type of situation. I respect the rights of those who disagree. I they are right and I never find myself in need of protecting my life or the lives of loved ones, I will be thankful, but. . . just incase, the second ammendment gives me the right to bear arms and I do. I also pray that I never have the need to use it.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
You know, for those who think it's ok that they want to do all this to our guns, who aren't worried about if they do or don't pass this legislation regarding ammo, or aren't worried that they might confiscate our guns or not, Great. Good for you.

Having said that, if they do all these things, I hope they come for any guns you may have first.

Our right to bear arms will sure come in handy if Korea follows through with what they have threatened. Any of you following that?

How easy it will be for some foreign enemy to come in and confiscate anything registered. Think about that, for a bit. If you have to register your guns and/or you ammo, we aren't immune from enemy invasion (911 should have proved that!), how easy will it be for those who invade to find out who has the weapons? How easy for them to come to your home, wipe out you and your family, before you have the chance to defend yourself??

Have you thought of that? Oh wait, maybe you don't believe that will or could happen either.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Those who want to believe the Brandy Bunch statistics usually don't read the research, they just feel bad about guns. Here are some real numbers, from Gunfacts.info. All the statistics are there backed up with cites. I'm posting this for those of you who are interested in learning the truth.

A little synopsis from this page:

GUNS AND CRIME PREVENTION
Myth: Private ownership of guns is not effective in preventing crime
Fact: Every year, people in the United States use a gun to defend themselves against criminals an estimated 2,500,000 times more than 6,500 people a day, or once every 13 seconds.112 Of these instances, 15.6% of the people using a firearm defensively stated that they "almost certainly" saved their lives by doing so.
Firearms are used 60 times more often to protect lives than to take lives.
Fact: In 83.5% (2,087,500) of these successful gun defenses, the attacker either threatened or used force first, proving that guns are very well suited for self-defense.
Fact: Of the 2,500,000 times citizens use guns to defend themselves, 92% merely brandish their gun or fire a warning shot to scare off their attackers.
Fact: Less than 8% of the time does a citizen wound his or her attacker, and in less than one in a thousand instances is the attacker killed.113
Fact: For every accidental death, suicide, or homicide with a firearm, 10 lives are saved through defensive use.
114Fact: When using guns in self-defense:
83% of robbery victims were not injured.
88% of assault victims were not hurt.
76% of all self-defense use of guns never involve firing a single shot.
Fact: After the implementation of Canada's 1977 gun controls prohibiting handgun possession for protection, the breaking and entering crime rate rose 25%, surpassing the American rate.115
Myth: Only police should have guns
Fact: ...most criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police.116
Fact: 11% of police shootings kill an innocent person - about 2% of shootings by citizens kill an innocent person.117

111 J. Gayle Mericle, 1989, Unpublished report of the Metropolitan Area Narcotics Squad, Will and Grundy Counties
112 Fall 1995, Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology
113 FBI, Critical Incidents in Policing, 1991
114 National Crime Victimization Survey, 1979-1985
115 Pat Mayhew, Residential Burglary: a Comparison of the United States, Canada and England and Wales (Nat'l Inst. of Just., Wash., D.C., 1987)
116 Wright and Rossi, Armed and Considered Dangerous: a Survey of Felons and Their Firearms, 1986
117 Cramer C and Kopel D. "Shall issue: the new wave of concealed handgun permit laws." Golden CO: Independence Institute Issue Paper. October 17, 1994 Gun Facts Version 5.0 Page 16
Copyright 2008, Guy Smith www.GunFacts.info All Rights Reserved

Fact: Police have trouble keeping their own guns. Hundreds of firearms are missing from the FBI and 449 of them have been involved in crimes.118
Fact: People who saw the helplessness of the L.a. Police Department during the 1992 King Riots or the looting and violence in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina know that citizens need guns to defend themselves.
Myth: You are more likely to be injured or killed using a gun for self-defense
Fact: You are far more likely to survive a violent assault if you defend yourself with a gun. In episodes where a robbery victim was injured, the injury/defense rates were:119
Resisting with a gun 6%
Did nothing at all 25%
Resisted with a knife 40%
Non-violent resistance 45%
Myth: Guns are not effective in preventing crime against women
Fact: Of the 2,500,000 annual self-defense cases using guns, more than 7.7% (192,500) are by women defending themselves against sexual abuse.
Fact: When a woman was armed with a gun or knife, only 3% of rape attacks are completed, compared to 32% when unarmed.120
Fact: The probability of serious injury from an attack is 2.5 times greater for women offering no resistance than for women resisting with a gun. Men also benefit from using a gun, but the benefits are smaller at 1.4 times more likely to receive a serious injury.121
Fact: 28.5% of women have a gun in the house.122
Fact: 41.7% of women either own or have rapid access to guns.123
Fact: In 1966, the city of Orlando responded to a wave of sexual assaults by offering firearms training classes to women. Rapes dropped by nearly 90% the following year.
Rape Rates 19952003 (per 100,000 pop.)
% Change
+26.5
Australia
+59.8
United Kingdom

United States

118 ABC News, July 17, 2001
119 British Home Office not a pro-gun organization by any means
120 U.S. Department of Justice, Law Enforcement Assistance Administration, Rape Victimization in 26 American Cities, 1979
121 Department of Justice's National Crime Victimization Survey
122 Smith, T: 2001 National Gun Policy Survey of the National Opinion Research Center: Research Findings. National Opinion Research Center, University of Chicago, December 2001.
123 Ibid

[i[Gun Facts Version 5.0 Page 17
Copyright 2008, Guy Smith www.GunFacts.info All Rights Reserved
Fact: Firearm availability appears to be particularly useful in avoiding rape. Australia and the United Kingdom virtually banned handgun ownership. During the same period handgun ownership in the United States steadily rose. Yet the rate of rape decreased in the United States, and skyrocketed in the other countries.
Fact: More Americans believe having a gun in the home makes them safer. This belief grows every year the survey is taken.124
Fact: Arthur Kellerman, a researcher whose work is often cited by gun control groups said If you've got to resist, you're chances of being hurt are less the more lethal your weapon. If that were my wife, would I want her to have a .38 Special in her hand? Yeah.125[/i]
Don't want to keep a gun? Don't. But don't get in the way of my right to own one for my defense, and the defense of what I hold dear.

Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
You know, for those who think it's ok that they want to do all this to our guns, who aren't worried about if they do or don't pass this legislation regarding ammo, or aren't worried that they might confiscate our guns or not, Great. Good for you.

Having said that, if they do all these things, I hope they come for any guns you may have first.

Our right to bear arms will sure come in handy if Korea follows through with what they have threatened. Any of you following that?

How easy it will be for some foreign enemy to come in and confiscate anything registered. Think about that, for a bit. If you have to register your guns and/or you ammo, we aren't immune from enemy invasion (911 should have proved that!), how easy will it be for those who invade to find out who has the weapons? How easy for them to come to your home, wipe out you and your family, before you have the chance to defend yourself??

Have you thought of that? Oh wait, maybe you don't believe that will or could happen either.
Red Dawn was just a movie. Before you post ludicrous fantasies please think it through. Are there any countries in the world with a military capable of invading and taking over our country? Answer is NO. Terrorist, yes that is a definite possibility but your guns won't help you there. Of course there may be some hero with a concealed weapon that will be in the right place at the right time. I mean we've all seen Die Hard. I think you can sleep safe at night and not worry about the tanks rolling in. By the way your guns won't protect you against a missile from Korea. I did watch a movie last night where the gun owners were at a definite advantage. The town was being invaded by zombies and the regular folk were getting eaten. Fortunately some of the locals had firearms and were able to shoot the zombies in the head. Of course the zombies got the Sheriff before he was able to do anything. Once again proving that law enforcement is useless.

If gun registration becomes mandatory you can just register a couple hand guns for home protection and hide the rest so the commies or the terrorist won't know you have them.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, so the gun bill has not gotten any co-sponsors thus far and still sits without being picked up by anyone in committee so why are we getting so strident over people coming to take our guns? No one is even thinking about this possible bill at this time and if they do have absolutely nothing to do because all the economy and war problems are fixed we'll be all over it. This is one bill you can be assured we will fight against.
And really, seriously, are these terrorists who are coming so smart they can access databases to find out who owns guns but they're SO stupid they're actually going to go to houses where they KNOW people have guns and demand them??

Reaction score
reinbeau said:
T

Don't want to keep a gun? Don't. But don't get in the way of my right to own one for my defense, and the defense of what I hold dear.
I haven't read any post on here from anyone wanting to interfere with your right to own a gun. I happen to support guns for home protection. I think conceal carry is beyond stupid. I think that owning a gun is a tremendous responsibility and that a majority of people that own them are not up to that responsibility. I would like to see laws requiring extensive training in use and keeping of firearms. Owners should be required to carry liability insurance for anyone that might get maimed or killed by their firearm and there should be strict jail terms for owners that allow their weapons to fall in to the hands of criminals or even worse be used by children. That kid over in Germany that used one of his fathers guns to kill 9 people. His father is being prosecuted for not securing that firearm.

I think the biggest problem that gun owners have with registration is that it will allow the govt to place controls on firearms and people will have to be responsible to own them. They want to have their toys but not the responsibility that goes with them.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Gun rights are sliding down a slippery slope, every piece of legislation makes the slope slipperier, and does absolutely nothing to stop the illegal use and trafficking of guns. Actually enforcing the laws currently on the books will. Did you know that 309 gun laws were violated during the slaughter at Columbine? Which one stopped it? Not one. Madmen will always be able to carry out their schemes, because they don't follow laws. There is only truth in the statement that if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

I'm not particularly afraid of terrorists accessing databases (although to think they aren't smart enough to do so is pretty naive), I'm more afraid of my own government using them to take away my guns. Here in MA they know all about them, and would absolutely adore the opportunity to remove them from my home. There are still many states where this isn't true (this link shows the increase in Right to Carry laws since 1986), as a matter of fact, gun rights have actually gained traction in the US over the past few of years despite the gun control lobby; problem is now they've got a real sympathetic ear in the White House and they think they can make some progress. It's our duty as citizens who believe in the Second Amendment and gun rights to make sure that doesn't happen.

As I said, if you don't want to own a gun, don't. But don't get in the way of my right to own one for my defense, and the defense of what I hold dear.

Status
Not open for further replies.