For Those Unprepared, Will It Be Like This..??

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can relate to the Los Angeles episode, because after Katrina, it was nuts in this part of Louisiana. Criminals went wild. Nothing was safe.
We had a mandatory evacuation issued for Gustave, but I stayed hidden in my home. I wasn't going to tough out a storm on an interstate or run the risk that criminals would be breaking into my house or my relatives homes on the estate.
I think most of us on the forum keep certain things stored. I can go a long time without going to the store if I have to. Dried beans, milk, flours, meats, potatoes. I like to keep some extra propane handy for cooking outside too.
Katrina thought me to not fill my freezer too much. I have a generator, but what if I can't run it? What if no gas? Better to live out your defrosting freezer for a week or 2 and have less spoiled food. Old ways are safer....can things or dry them or keep them live until you are close to needing them.
Of course all of this will be useless unless you have NRA stickers hanging around the place.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Any disaster can make people act with mob mentality.

Sometimes people come together to help one another, too, but you can't count on that.

When we were hit by earthquakes in L.A., our neighbors were awesome.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When Ivan came through in '04 our town really pulled together. With the riffraff we have now I am glad I am not in town if we have another big storm.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Propane stores better than gasoline, that's the main reason I have a propane fired whole house generator setup, and TWO 500 gallon tanks. One of them is full at all times as a backup supply.

wYs Ranch

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
It was a nightmare playing the matching game with people when I worked at lowes. The contractor would go back n forth between the stores to get the price down 20- 30 % more. HD has an asteric next to their prices on quotes that are marked down, lowes doesn't, so we always knew when they were trying to pull a fast one.

Also, generally, the rule is it has to be the exact same item and it cannot be on sale. You may often need proof although a good sales person will be willing to call and verify for you. Part of our job was to shop the other stores prices and sales (unless we got kicked out of the store) LOL!

If you think shopping on black friday is bad, you should try haveing to work it! TG I was in Commercial Sales, it was not so crazy since most contractors or business were closed.

I avoid Black Friday as there's nothing I need and we stopped buying gifts for family members (everyone agreed to). I do like to look for ornaments and decorations, but I will wait a few days and see whats left, some times by then stuff is 75% off or more.

ranchhand

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We're in hurricane alley here on the SC coast. Seems like every time there's a hurricane in the Caribbean there's a run on beer and water. Note the order there......

We have water and gas stored, all rotated regularly. Plenty of canned and frozen food. I stock the freezer during the fall and winter, then when spring and summer come around we eat from the freezers so we don't have as much to lose if we get a hit.

Our area is semi-rural and some of our neighbors are scary. If we had a services meltdown I worry that they will come here to take what they want. So I keep guns ready to go as well.

However, if someone is genuinely in need? We'll help all we can without endangering ourselves or our supplies.

I have never shopped on Black Friday, but I despise shopping anyway! A trip to the grocery store is a really good way to torture me, :lol: Walmart? Might as well shoot me and put an end to my misery.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have noticed the past couple times I have gone to my WM that their grocery prices are through the roof. I don't get it. Do the people who shop their not compare prices?? I only buy some pantry items there and only when I'm shopping for other stuff. Like ammo. :D

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I have noticed the past couple times I have gone to my WM that their grocery prices are through the roof. I don't get it. Do the people who shop their not compare prices?? I only buy some pantry items there and only when I'm shopping for other stuff. Like ammo. :D
This I buy at WM....

Pasta..
Red Wheat Berries..
Dried Beans..

Stuff for the baby :) Other than that, Sav-A-Lot is where I do a lot of stocking up.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't think my WM even carries wheat berries. People around here wouldn't know what to make of them.

;)

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I don't think my WM even carries wheat berries. People around here wouldn't know what to make of them.

;)
mine does, I probably walked past it forever but its in the aisle with the flour sugar etc on the veryyyyyyyyyyy bottom in brown paper bags.