For women only please!

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi all, I am so happy I found this thread. I am now a user of cloth pads and very happy with them. I also have the sponges to try. I am so thankful for all the knowledge on this site.
Nancy

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I bought one to try and I love it. I need to stock up on more of them though. This October I will finally get off BC, but I will have to deal with "aunt flo" again. I'm glad I found this thread!

BarefootMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I bought some off of Etsy for pretty cheap-compared to what other websites wanted. I think it was like $16 for 5 pads with snappy wings plus she threw in 2 liners.

if you don't want to mess with making them your own check out etsy.com

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I decided to actually try using cloth pads this month after reading this thread. (I was especially intrigued by the idea of shorter period!) Well, to be honest, I didn't actually use cloth pads, I used these: http://wp.me/p15y6n-22 ;) I just folded in 3rds or 4ths, and place in my panties. And it's super easy to make more absorbent - fold two together! To make longer, fold 'em together overlapped. I discovered (for me at least) for overnight it works best to not overlap, but to put one in place as normal, and fold another in half and put that at the rear half. I didn't have a problem with soaking through - any leakage was from not being long enough.

And I never would've thought to use with the "boyshorts" type panties, but that actually does work better at helping to hold 'em in place! I figured the looser sides would make things worse, especially since they don't work well with store bought pads. Am wondering for those of you who commented on having issues with keeping the pads in place - would you describe yourself as more thin, or "fluffy"? I'm definitely on the fluffy side, and don't have a problem with these moving around; just a thought I had if the extra "fluff" helps hold 'em in place.

Also (since we're already sharing TMI), I HATE using store bought pads, and much prefer tampons because I hate the icky mess left on me. With my cloth pads, there was almost no mess on me :D I'm contemplating crocheting some tampons (there's a link to a pattern in the comments of the above posted website), but not having an applicator is definitely a stumbling block....

Now, for the best part - my periods have been lasting a total of about a week and 1/2. Very slow start, would just use panty liners for 4-5 days, the 2-3 days of very heavy (you know it's bad when you have to back up a super de-duper tampon with an overnight pad just to make sure you don't leak), than another 2-3 days of very slow. This cycle, I've had one day of slow, 2 days of heavy, and am on a slow day again. I'm hoping by tomorrow to be done - that would be 1/2 the time!

So if you're hesitating to jump on this bandwagon, my advice is - just do it!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wow, Bethanial, that is quite a testimonial! I'd be curious to know how your cycle changes over the next few, if it remains shorter and lighter.

As for movement of the pad, I now have holes in my undies from the safety pin I have to use in the front, so I'm still planning on making a set of pads with velcro and a set of undies with velcro to match. If I didn't completely secure the pads, they'd escape out the back within 3-4 steps! I'm not fluffy, but not anorexic, either. I tend to run on the higher end of what the charts and graphs say is my ideal weight.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Switched to cloth pads about 2 years ago, I dont ever want to go back if I can! Tmi moment mayby but went from feeling like I wore soggy diapers to almost forgetting their there and i dont get that weird inner thigh rash from the plasticky wings anymore plus I feel the cloth ones hold smell better
I looked on Ebay for them, but etsy is definitely a good site to check too for them as well
A friend uses the silicone diva cup and she swears by it for those who like tampons believe she got hers on Ebay too

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I cannot do a Diva cup. Can't get it into a position that doesn't hurt. Not comparable to tampons no matter what some people have said.

I have a curious question. Would making some waxed cloth for the outer layer of period panties help prevent leaks? I'm thinking for overnight for those of us who get really heavy periods.

Latest posts