For women only please!

Lil Chickie Mama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
I also got my pul from Kids in the Garden, but I had not seen a bargain section! If I ever need more, I know where to look!
Okay but don't buy it up before me!!! Maybe I shouldn't have posted anything, whoops. Just kidding, I'm all set for a while, but when I get more money I'm buying more. The bargain section is good but you have to really look at the item because sometimes it's just leftovers and they only have 10" which is good for a Mama Pad, but not enough for a diaper. Also many will say that the PUL is starting to separate so it needs careful washing or that it has a stain or something. I didn't care as someone would be pooping in it (baby diapers) so it didn't have to be perfect, but that's me.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
What I ended up doing, after many prototypes, was stacking the layers, stitching around the edge once with a wide zigzag, then trimming the uneven bits of cloth from the top view and again from the bottom view. Then I would go back and do a wide zigzag satin stitch all the way around, and another row that halfway overlapped, so they would hold up better in the wash. These are actually the ones that were reported to be more comfortable, too, which surprised me.

The ones I made for myself were all turned and topstitched so painstakingly! And sewing those snaps on by hand in those little pointy corners.....yikes! Yep, the final tinkle pads took a fraction of the time of the "nicer" pads......something like five to one. No, probably more like 10 to one!

Fear not, entrepreneurial stitchers!
I know this is asking alot but.....
next time you make these, would you take pictures as you go?
I'd really like to try to make these, but I'm such a visual person written directions make my mind go.... :th

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Sure, OG, I will be making a set later this winter when the snow and cold keeps me indoors. If you keep me laughing, I will get photo directions up! Deal?:p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
Hey Free! Did you make another batch and take pictures?
Not yet, but I keep thinking about it! I need to go buy some supplies. Thanks for the reminder, I do need to get off my lazy butt.....:lol:

ecopepper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
I didn't read this whole thread, so sorry if it's already been posted.
Alternative to the pads: Cup!
I *lovelovelove* my Diva cup. And to spare the menfolks, that's all I'll say.

ETA: everything you could possibly ever want to know
http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/
If "menfolk" made it this far then they can take the rest. Feel free to share!! LOL!

Wow longest greatest thread I have ever read!! Thanks everyone!

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a question. Can i just use old rags/ clothes i have lying around? My cycles are never the same so i don't know how heavy they will be. Also what to do about night time. I almost always bleed through on some spot even with the extra long ones. I hate having to get stains out of my sheets. I can't use tampons cause of cramping. I have a ton of old sweatshirts just sitting around. Could i use them?

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry if this is already posted somewhere, I've been out of touch. JoAnn's now carries PUL. http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat3071&PRODID=zprd_02397289a It's $9.99, but most people will bring a 40% off coupon. So that's not bad. As far as I can tell it's the same as what I've ordered online. Although it says "wipe with damp rag", I put a sample through the wash and it's fine. If you ask someone who works there and they don't know what you mean, be nice, it's new to the store. Just ask for the utility fabrics (duck cloth, burlap, etc), that's where it should be.

Ninny: I would not use polyester since it wont absorb very well, but if you cotton rags that will work fine.

Latest posts