For women only please!

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was just at Jo Ann's last week looking for PUL. They didn't have any but had some coming in. I can't wait until they get some in. I can't wait to start making things with it.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I work at JoAnn's, and when we got it in I got all happy and confused my co-workers all day. I won't tell them about my awesome homemade pads since their reaction will not be positive. (One co-worker looked at the PUL and said "that's what they make disposable diapers for!") So they were all like "why are you so happy about this PUL stuff?? Have something you want to tell us?" So yay now half my co-workers think I'm preggers. :rolleyes:

On a side note, I had two ladies in one day in buying flannel for pads. One was donating them to foster kids, because I guess they sometimes have to stay home from school when they have a cycle. The other was making them for her daughter. I'm super excited that this is catching on, and that they even told me what they were making. I used my original homemade pads for a whole year- 12 periods. I made a totally new set because my old ones were a light color. Very pretty, but I didn't like stains so I would spend time scrubbing them. I'll post pictures of my new ones 'cause they're great.

Oberhaslikid

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I made about six of these just to try them and see if I would like them. OMG I now have my mom using and making them for her in contenence. She had the surgery and Its still in the works .But she likes them too.
I have to say my DH bought a box of Shammy cloth rags at a yard sale and someone had used them to wrap glassware in when they moved.
He didnt like them and was gonna throw them away. I told him I would use them for something and rescued them.
Guess what they work great for the inner part of these.
I have used up the whole box between My mom and I.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:D Wow I had no idea JoAnn's had PUL - thats great!

WHen I was making diapers I had to order directly from the manufacturer - I had ROLLS of the darn stuff.

(I have a little bit left, black and white and the off bits of the other colors after I cut the roll straight - I sold the rest of it)

LauraJean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I was in a "green products" type store and saw reusable cotton pads. There were maybe a half dozen or so in a bag for only a few bucks. I toyed with the idea but passed since that day I was shopping with my ex and I knew he would think it was disgusting and harass me; hence the prefix EX ;)

Power to the people on this thread for making your own, but if you aren't handy they can be purchased quite inexpensively.

My question is, what do you do with them to dry after they've been washed? Do you just throw them in the washer and dryer or do you hand rinse them? Hope that isn't gross, but I'm just curious. I don't think I'd want to start a load of laundry just to wash one of those, especially since the point is to conserve. Neither would I want them "sitting around" waiting for the next load, lol. So what do you do with them?

I'm kinda laughing to myself remembering how men would get so offended when they saw panty hose and underwear hanging to dry in the shower. Can you imagine their reaction to a little clothesline of THOSE?!:p

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
First off :welcome

Second, wow, that's cheap for pre-made ones! The pads that our co-op sells are like $7.50 for ONE. As far as I've seen those are the only one's being sold locally. Even people on Etsy sell them for at least $4.00 each. So just saying... Those are a good deal for pre-made.

I just soak them in a plastic tub in the bathtub, wash in the washing machine, then dry in the dryer. I wash them with my normal clothes. Sometimes if I feel like it I soak them in a bit of laundry soap as a sort of pre-wash, but it's not really necessary. Especially now that I made dark colored pads, so the stains won't show. :)

ilovetodig

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I make my own for leaking bladder with flannel and old washcloths or towels. I originally made a pattern by a bought mini pad and have over the years enlarged it some to be more comfortable. I sandwich 1 or 2 layers of terrycloth(depending on the thickness of it) between layers of flannel and zig zag aroung the edges a couple of times. You can either cut them out before sewing or sew first then cut them out around the edges of each pad. If I do that, I only stitch around it once then after cutting, zig zag around it a second time. They ravel some when washed, but I trim the strings off and eventually they quit raveling. I much prefer them to the bought ones because of cost and comfort. You might search "homemade menstrual pads" and come up with a pattern or some other ideas. I don't know if they would work for periods, but can't imagine why not. When I needed thicker ones, I just sewed a smaller one onto a larger one and made it twice as thick. I is easier to do that way than trying to zig zag around many layers at a time.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That website seems old... is she still active? Those are great prices.

scattered

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I love ETSY. everything is handmade from around the world and some crafters off patterns and technics for a low cost. You may also be able to frind them inexpenzive there but I have never looked. I do use the Diva cup and love it...another member mentioned it as well. hope you have luck...if nothing else you are certain to find many lovelies on etsy

Latest posts