Free's piggie thread...new pics p 19

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That would work as long as the sides are enclosed so that they can get out of the wind. When temps are under 60*F, the wind is very hard on pigs.

Pigs also need to be able to get out of the rain. Tarps will work as long as they're secured to keep from being blow away.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Time to revive this thread, as the piggies should arrive in two weeks or less....and there still is NO HOUSE for them!!!! Help!

I need ideas, quick and cheap. I don't have a truck. I don't have time to find and transport and take apart pallets. I can't spend more than $100 but hope to spend less.....

Can it be done? I am a bit overwhelmed with the goat babies, and this was my last weekend off. Still have the garden to put in in a couple of weeks, and although that will be after the pigs arrive, I still have a lot of garden prep to do now or I will be hopelessly behind.

I am not getting the help I need from the menfolk..... :barnie

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
My turn to tell you to breathe! I can't help with piggy housing ideas. Just keep posting what you need and maybe we can help somehow.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Deep breath dear!

How big will they be? (Not that it matters, just curious.)

OFG says electric fencing will keep them in. Do you have any of that?

I bought a very nice electric fence charger for 50 bucks (There are some much cheaper) and the wire and t-post doo-hickys were about 25 or less. Do you have at least 4 t-posts? If not, we are still under budget...they cost about 5 max bucks each here depending on how tall you want them.

And all this fits in a small car, just ask me, I drive a honda civic!! :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Breathing.....breathing.....

Let me clarify....the pasture part is done, electrified, gated. Just need a house.

I think they will be 30-40 lbs, and there will be two instead of three.

DH's new job means same pay/higher fuel bill. He works for the state and has no choice....we get great benefits. But our budget is suddenly smaller. I have my egg, etc. money envelope that I set aside for the piggies and other ss purchases, and I just hit the $300 mark. That includes purchase of piggies, $100, shipping, maybe $50?, some feed, at least $50, and housing, $100. I had other things to buy, but alas. So much for the $25 vintage wine press and the gallon glass bottles for $3 each!

But.....BACON!!!!! :drool

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
You might be able to get away with a dog house or something like that...

Check craigslist and/or freecycle.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You said you didn't have any pallets left didn't you? *brainstorming here* What wood do you have? How cold does it get at night?

My pig was fine with some hay or deep shavings and a covered lean to, (two sides and a lid). Our temps did get near about 35-40 at night and he was just fine. When he escaped (which was always) he ended up in the open air hay room. It really has no sides, just a large roof and partial walls. It is very drafty. He just burried himself in the loose hay.

At least you will have two to snuggle with each other.

(I know how you feel. For me, it was lamb creep feed and more sheep supplies etc. instead of a much needed Mother's day massage! :rolleyes: Heck I would have even settled for a much needed pair of Mother's day rubber boots. Mine have sprung a leak! :rolleyes: )

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Two sides? Not three? I was gonna tarp the outside corner of the fence, add one wall on the inside and a tarp roof. The guy we are buying the piggies from said we would go out one day, soon, and find toothpicks in it's place. So a sturdy, moveable hut that could be used for a buck or baby goat overflow in the spring was designed in my head. Now there is no time or money, and the days are flying past me!

Now I just need quick, simple, cheap, sturdy enough that I don't need to spend the money twice by needing to re-build.

We will likely slaughter in December, so it needs to keep two pigs for six months. Maybe 5 months. I want some fat, but our pasture is big by pig pasture standards. So it may take a bit more time to get them fat. Either way, they will be big....but I can't visualize just how big.

I'm gonna check the local saw mill tomorrow for bark slabs. I could set four fence posts and nail up bark slabs.

How big does it need to be for two pigs, once fully grown? In December, freezing temps, sometimes quite low? I will have access to straw. The floor will be sloping ground, I will put the open side facing North and at the bottom of the slope for the summer, and may re-set the wall so it is facing east or south when it gets cold.

No pallets, Sally.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That is just what I was looking for! Thanks, Gina!!! I will not make it as nice as those, but the 8'x5' one for two fully grown pigs gives me exactly the info I need. It will take less materials than the box design we were working on. No roofing required. A goat can't jump on it and launch himself out of my pasture. Maybe. And I could use bark slabs, if available, to make clapboards for the sides, and skip the flooring. Wow. Thanks!

Still want more ideas if anyone has them.....