Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here we go! I'll pick up gas for the generator this morning. Still don't have the new big generator tied directly in to the breaker box. Will try to get DS to work on that for us. If not - we can just use extension cords and be ok. Even with a generator to run the well, I'll store some water "justincase." Extra feed for the critters and that'll take care of most of our preps. We're pretty much always prepped so it won't be a huge problem. Bad timing though. DH's brother is coming in from TN this weekend and his sister is coming down from north of Houton to spend the weekend working on MIL's apt. DH will be with them so I'll take care of the homefront.

Adding extra brownies and wine to the list, lol!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In Livingston, I put big plastic (new) trash cans on the porch, filled with water and taped the lids down. Then I put 5 gallon buckets of water in the bath tub, filled with water. Even though we were on city water, in extreme situations, it could run low.

I need a couple of rainy days to force me inside to do stuff.........

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I pay $12.75 mo "rental" on the meter base from the elec co-op, to allow direct plug in from generator. It includes a special cord, also. I have no plug on/to/for my well pump. So, even with a big generator, I can't have water unless. After several years (!!!) of never using this...thinking I need to better resolve with my own plug. It's a few hundred $ but, I've paid that already! :idunno It was a fast & immediate solution in the beginning....after paying for this monster generator, it worked. Last storm, after 7 hrs no power, I went out to plug in. As I was standing there -- cord in hand --- power came on! :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a smaller generator that we've previously used. Big enough to pull the well and alternate freezer and fridge and small window ac. I have a two male ended plug that I can plug into a 220 outlet (after turning off the main breaker) and run things that way. So, we're pretty well set either way. However, it will be infinitely more convenient to have the big generator plugged directly to the box. I'd like to have that done because my neighbor doesn't have a generator and I'd like to let them use my smaller one. They do so much for me that I really would like to be able to help them out.

Last report showed it a bit east of us which would put us on the clean side. Just a waiting game now. :fl

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1598019559662.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I still haven't heard a full weather report today - I keep missing 'em. There'll be more for sure.

I picked up the last parts needed for the generator hook-up. DS will be here to do that tomorrow morning. Yay - I love my boy (man).

So far I've filled my truck with gas, got feed to top off all the barrels and picked up a ton of junk food - along with wine and brownies at the store. If we get hit I'll at least have lots of comfort food. (don't need it, but calories don't count in a storm do they?) All I really need to do now is fill the gas cans and pick up some loose stuff that's laying around. If it looks like we're going to get a hard hit I'll probably move some goats around so that the bucks can have a real shelter instead of a hoop house with a tarp top. They might appreciate that.

Impatiently waiting for the next report.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it looks like they've got both storms hitting the south coast next to each other at about the same time. curious as to how that might be possible, but i sure hope they both don't get together... that'd be a big mess. no idea what will really happen...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wonder if it is even possible that they could join up for a giant storm - sure hope not. Next full report in a couple hours. I'll be waiting anxiously for that one. (big dramatic) SIGH..... :lol:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Let’s see.... you didn’t flood in Harvey, so we know you are ok there. Your house has never blown away, so you are ok there too. Wind, rain, rain, more rain, immediately followed by copious amounts of mud. Go slog outside doing chores then come in, shucking mud boots and gloppy clothing in the utility room or point of entry. Put on a sloppy comfy robe and have a brownie. Chase it with a glass of wine and have another. You are correct, calories do not count during a hurricane.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It would have to dump yards and yards of rain before I'd worry about flooding. I'm pretty sure we can withstand the straight line winds they're talking about...kinda like a baby hurricane if it stays that strength. Do worry about the occasional errant tornado.

Mostly I think it'll just be a royal pain in the tuckus - especially if we get TWO of 'em.... so I did stock up on calories lol. TWO boxes of brownie mix for two storms, TWO bags of dark chocolate covered raisins, several bottles of wine … I think I'll stop there... don't want to sound too gluttonous, lol.

Also have 50 gallons of gas on hand. This big generator doesn't get very good mileage, lol. Hope it's better than the manual suggests!