Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today will be about outside stuff. I'll mow everything as short as I can in anticipation of not being able to mow for a while. I need to relocate things that have been calling the back porch home for awhile. I have an 8 foot table there that holds lots of planting/potting supplies. Gotta get that stuff moved before it takes flight. I need to find a new home for a cage of quail that have been living on the end of the porch also. Patio furniture needs to grow anchors and stay put, lol.

Water buckets in some of the pens will need to be secured to the fences or moved until the storm(s) passes. I can't anticipate the animals being short of drinking water with two systems headed for us. My goats will walk past a water bucket to drink out of a puddle.....ugh. We'll likely have a few puddles, lol.

Even with generators I will store some water. I keep about 20 gallons stored at all times. I'll dump that water today and replace it with fresh water.

DH and his family are working at MIL's apt all day. I'll likely miss the family stuff but the preps here need to be done. Had a "duh" moment earlier. What to do if the family that she's with loses power? ARGH. They are more in the center of town and would likely get power back fairly quickly. But if not, my extra generator might end up at their house as opposed to the next-door neighbors.

Let the fun begin!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well, so far they only have them both rated as tropical storms when they hit the coast, and not at the same time, but a day apart or perhaps more. interesting as i never thought they could come that quickly one after the other.

i hope there isn't much flooding.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
well, so far they only have them both rated as tropical storms when they hit the coast,
Hope it stays that way!

I now have my generator hooked up to the breaker panel. All I have to do is turn OFF the main breaker and start the generator, flip a breaker, and we have whole house power. We tested it out and everything, including the central AC, worked! Yay! so thrilled I have such a talented son.

Started mowing before DS came over. Did something and killed the mower... :( Seemed electrical and sure enough I blew a fuse on the mower. Geeze, glad he showed up when he did. He had an extra fuse in his truck so I'm back in business with the mower too.

Laundry is going and I'm going to put a roast in the crockpot probably tomorrow night just to have something easy to re-heat and also good for sandwiches or hash later.

This is the point where I say to myself - I sure hope I'm not wasting my time with all these preps. BUT - I'd sure be happier to waste a little time than to hope we get hit by a storm to justify my efforts, lol!

I hope there's not a lot of flooding too! Houston is well-known for flooding disasters...:(

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OH wow! I just saw a report that looks like we might've dodged the Marco storm bullet! Woo Hoo! Not sure about the next one....time will tell on that one I guess. :)

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
EAST!

"The forecast cone for Marco's landfall shifted nearly 350 miles to the east and is now aimed at New Orleans instead of Houston. Marco is forecast to strengthen into a hurricane over the next 24 hours.

The system is expected to approach the central Gulf coast Monday afternoon, and Hurricane Watch is in effect from Intracoastal City Louisiana eastward to the Mississippi/Alabama border, including Lake Pontchartrain, Lake Maurepas, and Metropolitan New Orleans. There are no watches in effect for the Texas coastline."

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Can you say "storm burn-out?" Next major update coming at 10am. Don't know that I even care anymore, lol. We are as prepped as we're going to be unless we're going to receive a direct hit. Then I'll make some last minute changes. I'm not one to sit around and worry about things I can't change. Whatever happens we will deal with in the best way that we can....and then we'll get over it and move on, lol.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have to tell you this -- it's YOUR fault. :old

When all this CV stuff started up & things were flying from shelves, I couldn't find yeast. I went through every drawer & cabinet looking for a jar I just "knew" I had, never opened! Finally, I gave up & bought more when I found it. So now I have a LOT.

Back to "the jar". It bothered me to not know where it was, I mean I hadn't made bread! Then, a couple weeks ago....taking an accumulation of recyclables to the dump...some were wine bottles. Hmmm, maybe I should save a couple as wine is going up and with no demos & freebees, you have to buy it...maybe make some. :idunno
In that moment it came to me!! --- that's WHERE THE JAR of yeast was used! You were making wine and I did so to try it. The yeast! That solved the mystery -- you told me how to make the wine, I used that yeast making wine!

:lol: Sure feel better now that I remembered where it went. :love😁
And I now have plenty for bread and wine. Thanks for the memories.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry it was my fault - but glad the memory helped, LOL! Wine sounds good - I should open some. I had a partial bottle but put it in the pot roast today. Made a darn tasty pot roast too. But, I'd rather drink my wine than eat it.

Should hear more on storm direction tomorrow. I swear the not knowing is the worst!

Beau is alternatively a demon dog and a hilarious, totally entertaining, brilliantly smart puppy. He met Cowboy and Missy today. Cowboy was more tolerant than I expected and Missy wanted to eat him alive. In fact, Cowboy even growled at Missy for growling at Beau. Cowboy loves all babies! We're about to be on full dog overload around here. I get the new female in about 3 weeks. Woo Hoo!