Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I do/did love my pigs. But, it's time and I need the pen space. Butchering a 300 lb pig isn't for the faint of heart. I can do it - and have done it - but I'll concentrate on my goats in the future.
Right now however, is time to concentrate on the garden. Whoop! I'm ready to start planting. Weather guys better not be wrong, lol.

don't forget the beans! :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Woo Hoo! Entirely possible - and I won't even fuss about it. We've been so dry. We got almost an inch (.93). I'll take it.

I tried to trim some goat feet yesterday and couldn't even cut through some hoof areas because they were so hard and dry. Should get better after they have to walk in the mud, lol!

glad you got some rain at last. :)

Contractor is still behaving badly. He showed up yesterday morning and stayed for 2.5 hours. Left around lunch time without saying a word and never came back.

he's not much into communication that's for sure.

Plus - I walked in and found his helper standing in my upholstered dining room chair in his work boots! I called him on that - and questioned his upbringing. "Raised in a barn, were ya?"

wow, just WTH?

I sure hope he completes by Sunday like he said he would be. I have an appt Monday for a bid from someone else to finish the work if first guy doesn't finish on time.

good luck.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hub's friend who's been in construction all his life, starting having back problems at 70 yrs old. Cus he retired.......

He's back to working when he wants and his back is sooooo much better.

yes, backs are made to move, it's a big reason why i like gardening and why i dig (as little as possible, but i do most gardens here manually) as i like exercise that has meaning. swimming is the other form of exercise i really like but there's no places around here i want to swim in.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dehydrated the first batch of carrots overnight. Checked 'em this morning and they are ready to come out. I used a food processor to slice 'em and I'm not thrilled, but they're crispy! I'd like them a little thicker, but I used the thickest cutting blade I have. I may end up slicing them by hand - ugh. I'd like them a tiny bit thicker than they are now. I also used the wrong blade on one batch...not paying attention. The slice blade and the grate blade are one and the same. Put it in one way for slicing - turn it over for grating. I managed to grate a whole bowl full before I noticed, lol. Hmmmm, carrot cake in my future? If I try to dehydrate those itty-bitty pieces they'll disappear!

carrot salad! :)