Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I gave my pigs boiled eggs the other day...... thought about you and Maddie. :) I bought eggs for .15 at Aldis, no way they were getting MY eggs! We sell them for 4 dollars a dozen!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So are you having the butcher do everything or just the heavy work? I've heard some very sad stories of how pigs were unloaded and dispatched at a butcher here, but sounds like yours at least tried to help him out!

How are you recovering? Is DH sick now?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This has been the worst bout of flu I've ever gotten....geeze. It's made me re-think some things. Your brain does crazy things when you're burning with fever and taking lots of drugs. I've decided that this is biological warfare and that I am woefully underprepared, lol. Seriously though - everyone in town has it. Really weird, cuz I'll feel like warmed over death for a couple days then I'll have a good day then death again then a decent day. Or maybe it's just that every time I feel better I try to do everything I didn't do when I was sick(er) and I just wear myself out and go downhill again.

Today was a nauseous day...that was fun! Thankfully, it didn't last all day because we had two more babies born - two doelings! Yay! One of the FF Nubians had twins. She loves one and hates one so I offered the hated one a bottle today and you'da thought she'd never eaten before. There was no fussing or fighting to get her to take it - she huffed it down in about 2.5 seconds. One of the Kinders that had triplets - loves two and hates one. Now, that little fella is pretty smart though. He gets right under mother while the other two are on each teat, cuz if mom reaches around and smells HIS butt nursing she will push him off - but if he's hiding between the other two and fighting both of them for a teat she never knows he's under there. He can never nurse alone, so he's always watching and waiting for his brothers to go eat.

Yes - DH has it too. Bless his heart he's coughing like crazy, raw throat, head hurts....all that stuff I had 5 or 6 days ago. Hoping that since he went to the doc earlier in his sickness that his won't last as long. But, not sure ow that's gonna work for him.

I totally wussed out and am having the butcher do everything this time. I thought about just picking them up in quarters and finishing it out myself, but I don't have the time or energy right now to deal with it.

Feel bedtime coming on...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, don't blame you on the pig. Having the flu during kidding seson is bad enough! So are the Nubian's babies Nubian or Kinder?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So far this is what we've got:

Kinder doe x Kinder buck = twin F-2 kinder bucklings.
Kinder doe x Kinder buck = triplet F-2 kinder bucklings.
Nubian doe x Kinder buck = twin F-1 kinder doelings.
Nubian doe x Nigerian dwarf buck = Two mini-nubian doelings! :love
Nigerian Dwarf doe x Nigerian Dwarf buck = 1 buckling, 1 doeling Nigerian Dwarf, 1 DOA doeling :(

The first birth of the season was pygmy x pygmy and it was a DOA buckling

Still have 1 pygmy doe, 2 Nubians, and 1 FF kinder to go. At least I hope that's all I've got left!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are running close to 50/50 buck/doe. Nice. :)

Hope you are feeling better & DH, also!!!! Someone besides the dogs needs to get well there....chores, ya know?! :hugs:caf

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's bad when your husband gets sick. it's worse when you are sick. Both of you sick is a disaster. Really hope you feel better soon.

I never take a flu shot. Ever. Since flu mutates frequently, what is in the much touted, recommended, shoved down your throat every time you check out at any drug store, is LAST YEAR'S strain anyway. So what good is THAT going to do for you?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad you got some girls! And soon, milk for your coffee! Hope you feel better soon, do you have to go back to work this week? Bleh.

I never got a flu shot this year but I always get my daughter one. I figure if there's even a small percentage of a chance it helps her not get the flu, it's worth doing. My husband had the flu last year and he did not take it well, at all.