Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My daughter would love bottle feeding, maybe she'll luck out and we'll end up with a bottle baby or two lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What about a lamb bar? There used to be a couple on BYH that had 250 ewes, both worked full time. They used a lamb bar on their bottle lambs. It is a bucket with several nipples. They filled it before they left for work and when they got home. It worked for them.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've thought about a Lambar. But, I'd rather they go to their mama, lol. My other concern would be that unless I kept the little guys in a stall I'm afraid ALL the other babies would steal their milk. Baby goats are greedy and when they see one of the baby's getting a bottle - they really get interested and think that they want it too.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well all goats are greedy, not just babies! Lol

Hey how's your granddaughter? Still in a cast?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good point, NH.

Granddaughter is doing well and the cast comes off in a couple weeks. April 15th I think. She is going to be sooooo happy to get out of that thing!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you pen mom & kids, you could up feed mom & help with milk. I'm thinking you could do a night & AM for a few days, different ones each time & they'd soon get her making enough and all eating......well, of course, watch them....but, worth a try. I used to fix bottles night before, then heat water, set bottle in there while I had coffee in AM. Takes longer to get it ready than them to eat it!!! Or, pen them & her next to each other at night, see how full she is in AM & let them nurse, supplement bottle at night....?? just ideas. You say she's been good producer before, a little encouragement and watching may let you see she'll be ok in a few days. Trips will keep them empty. Maybe she's doing better than you think?

Bottle kids are a commitment and one that is hard to work into an already full schedule of farm, plus family, PLUS a job. Don't feel badly that it is stressing you:hugs -- it IS a stress. I'm thinking this is temporary. Both my mini nubs have been feeding trips! The bigger gals were smarter, had twins. :lol:

Right now, I want to milk but, it's time to start and my PT job is very busy now and thru mid June. It is when I make my summer bill money, to handle that slack time & work my farm. I'm stressing over "no time to milk!!" So, haven't done it. We know if I don't I won't be able to soon....dry ups. :idunno

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All good ideas MH!

They are 'kinda' learning and mom is kinda getting better. If I hold her I can get them to latch on and after just a couple half-hearted kicks by mom she'll stand pretty well. So far I've gotten two of them to nurse. I've been locking them all up together at night. Unfortunately for the babies, I can tell they haven't been nursing (yet) on their own because of their sunken/empty tummies and their voracious appetites! But, I do think they'll eventually get the hang of it. I did put mom on the stand today and got maybe a cup out of her. I'm going to keep milking her and hoping that with some nursing and some milking she'll do better.

I haven't started "real" milking yet either - except for stealing enough to feed these trips.

Can you leave the babies on their moms to keep them producing so you can get to milking when you can get to milking? I'd be a shame not to have milk through summer/fall. Hope it works out one way or another for you!

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep -- kids are still nursing but at 2.5 mos for first ones, they are also eating -- moms are walking away. Sometimes it's because they are old enough to pull a lot real quick, some is age to start slacking off. My last doe to kid was 2/25, so she's one to grab & keep going but, I've always wanted to milk one of the mini nubs to see how long they'd go. Always great udder and always nurse trips with no issues.

It's a situation of "I want to" and "just no time to" commit on a regular basis. Hate myself for it but, life is life. My work days have to take priority for now because -- @ 71 you are NOT at the top of the "new hire" list :lol::old no matter your abilities.

Since I am NOT ready to totally stop work (still want to get that new toy -- my tractor -- paid off) I keep plugging along with the work I do. Flex of schedule is critical & 95% of time, totally my own to set. Pay is decent and NO office, etc., pretty much a "work assigned, go do within this time frame" situation. It's physical and normally you work alone. Some big jobs do have teams, set time because of that, but not often. It's assigned on my portal @ website, all instructions, etc.. Really perfect for us "old farts" who are still physically & mentally able. I scheduled me off today....:cool: