Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That was the only good part, lol! But, if I'da known they weren't gonna show I'da done something fun! Did get a few things accomplished - trimmed some stinky buck feet - yuck.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Hey guess what?!?!?!? People suck. The End. Story of my life lately too. :D:p

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sad day today.... put down a goat. This is a goat that I bought several years ago - not home grown. She was thin when I bought her. I probably should have walked away - but she'd had all the testing and a clean bill of health - plus she'd just delivered quads. A sweet, sweet girl with awesome linage. But I could NEVER get her in good shape. No matter what I wormed her with - or how often - I could never keep her from being over-run with parasites. "They" say that 80% of your parasite problems come from 20% of your animals. I hate giving up...feel like I failed her. But, it was time. She'd been through enough.

In other news - DH and I are on a healthy eating crusade lately. Had salmon, green beans and riced cauliflower for dinner. I used a little (about a tablespoon) maple syrup to rub the salmon fillet before coating it with Old Bay seasoning and putting it under the broiler. Yum!

We had DH's pre-op visit for his upcoming cataract surgery yesterday. His appointment was in the late afternoon so we stopped for dinner on the way home. We went to a Japanese restaurant and split a tempura box. Pretty healthy and very delicious!

Talked to DD today about getting the grandkiddos for a visit before school starts. YAY!! Not this weekend but next I'll go up and nab the kids and bring 'em back here for a few days...or more! I can't wait!!!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Grandkids and DD will be glad to accommodate your offer to visit! Have fun with them -- they are grown faster than summer squash!!!!! :p:p

Sorry about the goat. Some we cannot save and I'm sure you gave it your all but, still hurts.:hugs

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some we cannot save and I'm sure you gave it your all but, still hurts.:hugs
Ya know - those of us that have been doing this awhile know that death is part of life on the farm...but I always take it real personally. Not so much just sadness - but even more of a "what did I do wrong - and what can I learn from this - and how can I prevent it in the future." This gal was a challenge from the beginning. I had talked to her former owner about a year after I bought her. Asked if the goat had ever been slick and fat and she admitted that she'd had issues with her too. She went back to the breeder and asked the same question. Breeder said that she'd nearly lost her to coccidiosis as a kid. Evidently her digestive tract was so scarred that she never absorbed nutrients properly and had no defense against parasites. She tried though... she delivered triplets earlier this year (I didn't PLAN on breeding her - but ya know how that goes)...but she couldn't make enough milk for 'em. They were some of the bottle babies I had this spring. Even my vet, who I've used for decades, was like...."she is just a poor do-er and will probably never get better than she is right now - but she'll certainly get worse." He was right.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I feel the same & always look at it the way you describe. Yes, they can't live forever but, we feel they can. It is a fact that damaged digestive makes for poor growth, immune systems, development and life in general. Hers did not seem to be reversible. I'll give her this, she SURE TRIED!! RIP.

While I have great pasture & browse most of the year, I still supplement with Vit/Min free choice and some concentrates 2-3 times a week for those who are JUST ornaments .... milking/kidding, growing, that's amore intense feed & schedule. Like you do.
And so -- we keep on doin' it! :th

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
sorry about your goat! It stinks losing them! How's the other one recovering?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm relieved that it's done...

The other goat, Cameo, had her last antibiotic shot this morning. I don't know if she'll ever be able to use that foot correctly - but she's getting around very well as long as she moves slowly and deliberately. If she tries to move too fast, or is on really bumpy ground that foot still knuckles over and she stumbles. But, all in all, I think it will be ok. It might take her a long time to get the muscle strength back, but she's young and healthy otherwise.