Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is she in with the others? Are they taking advantage of her weakness? Mean animals! Lol

Glad she's doing well though!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nah, she's up in the front barnyard with her kids and a Nigerian dwarf doe and her kids - the other meanies stay out in the pasture (unless someone leaves a gate open, lol).

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sooooooo... ummmmmm....started thinking about breeding today. Mostly because the bucks are getting mighty smelly and some of the does are flagging their tails at 'em. And, I have this cute little buck that has never gotten his chance. He's too stinking cute too, lol. He's technically a Kinder, but he's actually 3/4 Pygmy and 1/4 Nubian. He's no bigger than my Pygmy buck - but he's soooo colorful. I'm going to breed him to two of my ND crosses from last year. They are bigger than ND or Pygmies, but not nearly as big as my F1 and F2 Kinders. I'm hoping that the tiny little 1/4 Nubian blood in there will add a little more mature size to the kids. I've got a pygmy doe that hasn't kidded in several years so I'm going to let her live with him for awhile - if she doesn't conceive soon she will make a might tasty meal or 3.

Breeding within the next few weeks would give me December kids and I'm off for three weeks in December so it's pretty good timing.

I've got a lady that wants some mini horses that is pressuring me to come look at 'em. I'm so torn! I got them for the grandbabies, but they're really not rideable and they eat a lot of hay...so.... I'll probably let 'em go. But dang it - I caught myself looking on craigslist for kid safe horses today, lol. Shame on me! Somebody STOP me!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ughh breeding already? Lol I won't even breed until at least November! So um... You said you're not breeding a lot of does this year right?;)

Hmm not a terrible idea on the mini horses. Save the hay for something that gives you milk or meat! No full size horses! Eek talk about hay burners!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not planning on breeding "a lot." (but, don't ask me to define "a lot" right now!) :lol:

Even if I totally lost my mind and looked at another equine addition to the family - I wouldn't get a big full-sized horse. Maybe something about 12ish hands - Welsh Pony or POA if I could find one. Most likely won't ever follow through with it. But, I've been a horse lover/owner for over 50 years now. It would be most strange not to have one at all. However - I will try my best to adapt, lol. My guess is that I'll be so thrilled at using less hay that I won't follow through with another large mouth to feed.

One thing that's been going through my head for at least a year or more is that I'm thinking about bringing in a Kiko buck. It jut makes sense to try to do something to increase parasite resistance for the goats that live in my swamp. Probably wouldn't do it until next spring. My thought is to contact one of the breeders that I've been researching and see if I can have them disbud a baby for me. If not I'd probably have to get one and bottle raise him so I can disbud. I won't have those big, albeit beautiful, horns on my place. Kiko's usually have nice udders and I don't think it would be detrimental to cross with my Nubians at all. In fact, that's what a lot of folks do and it seems to work well.

Already been out mowing this morning. I've got some pens that my rider won't fit in so they have to be done with the push mower. I've got another couple to go and then I'm going to separate that buck and put him with a couple does. Two will be last years babies. Both are over a year old now. One of them is the little doe that broke her leg right after Christmas. She is half ND, 1/4 pygmy and 1/4 Nubian. The other one is the same mix. Both of them are actually taller than he is, but lighter boned. The pygmy in him makes him heavier, and like I mentioned earlier, I hope that the 1/4 Nubian in him will combine well with the 1/4 Nubian in those does and give me animals that mature just a bit bigger. Whatever happens they should still be very milkable.

Need to get another round of laundry done and then get out and do some more mowing before it gets any hotter....ugh.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Kikos are fantastic, good luck finding one you can have disbudded! That would be a great addition.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am an enabler..... We bought a fine little 13 hand horse from a lady that buys slaughter lot horses and rehabs them. He was still a little thin, but she needed the money and we got him for $800. He is a great kids horse. I see some mighty fine horses go through these slaughter pen sites. Every once in awhile, a really nice kid horse or pony shows up and is snapped up in a hurry.

https://www.facebook.com/bastroplouisianashippen/?hc_ref=SEARCH&fref=nf

https://www.facebook.com/groups/147..._t=group_highlights&notif_id=1501109815404974

https://www.facebook.com/kaufmankil...cR6eZ01QZ3WtM6tjhvlVyRL-v_fA-wBBbgy7kjoldVQNE

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
IMG_1685.JPG