Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear ya'll are good, Bay.

Just talked to a co-worker who lives about 4 miles from here. She lost power last night and still doesn't have it back. My son who lives about 10 miles in the other direction still has his power. I'm feeling pretty blessed right now to be sitting in air conditioned comfort!

If you've seen any radar this morning we are lucky enough to be sitting in the area between the main storm and the outermost band. Not that we're rain free, but just getting an occasional light shower.

I'm about to get out and feed. It was pretty rainy earlier, but we are in a lull so I'm gonna get out there.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's overcast here and cooler than normal. DH worked on the driveway this morning. I took wagon and shovel and went out on the roadside digging Bahia. When I got a heaping wagonload, I sprigged it in one of my pastures (bare dirt). Ate tacos for lunch about 1:30, now I don't care about any more work. LOL It did start to sprinkle awhile ago so I ran out and fed, but it quit.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Texas at 3:00 PM 8/26/2017 We are just north of Interstate 20, the lower part of Smith county shows rain, but it ain't here yet. The news had pictures of Rock Port where Harvey made landfall and it showed utter destruction. The city even housed people in the jail at one point. The mayor told people not to come home yet, power lines down everywhere, it's a mess.

upload_2017-8-26_14-59-17.png

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Definitely feel so bad for the folks in Rockport!

We've been lucky today...it hasn't rained since this morning. When I went out at 7am the rain we'd had overnight had overflowed the ditch and was half-way up the yard. It's all receded now and we haven't had any more rain. It's windy, but that's it.

They still say we'll get lots more rain, but we've certainly gotten a reprieve today.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's fantastic. Hope it stays mild for you. Sone crazy pictures from other parts of Texas for sure.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Absolutely crazy scenes everywhere...even in the little town 7 miles from here (where I work) there were trees down in the streets. My son lost a couple of trees - but they were in pretty bad shape anyway. I'd say that we dodged a bullet - but still on the watch for more rain. Radar is kinda looks like we'll get some more tonight. I dunno.

I want to put ever thing back the way it was. I don't like going alllll the way out to the big barn to milk. It's chaos. And, I have to milk by hand. The girls don't like it either - their production was under a half gallon tonight - between two of them - geeze! Oddly enough I've gotten a lot of eggs the last two days. Don't know if it's cuz they've got nothing else to do in this weather except to sit around and lay eggs. Or, more likely because Cowboy is hanging out at the back door instead of going from pen to pen scarfing eggs, lol!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
BAD Cowboy! don't put everybody back yet! This party is supposed to last into the coming week. Sure as you moved them, the Great Deluge would stop over your house and pour buckets of rain. Just a few more days.....

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That storm radar picture makes even Texas look small!
I'm glad you're both doing alright. There's lots of talk here of emergency red Cross, and Army national guard and others headed to Texas to help.
@baymule, we're also just north of 20, three states over.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had such a boring day... And now we're under attack again! Torrential... and I mean TORRENTIAL rainfall for almost two hours now. Can't even watch the Texans play - ugh!

If it does this all night there will be problems.

There's lots of talk here of emergency red Cross, and Army national guard and others headed to Texas to help.
There is so much devastation. Even neighborhoods near us - over 150 miles from where Harvey made landfall were devastated by tornadoes. Last forecast I saw showed another tornado warning fairly close to us. We had them all night last night and it looks like we'll get them again.

There was damage at the college where I work - 7 miles from me. Don't know if I have to work Monday or not. Just got an alert that flash floods are likely in this area.... DUH!

At the rate it's coming down - and I'm guessing a couple inches an hour right now - it will be horrific by morning. Thankfully, we had all day to drain what we got yesterday and last night.

Round 2