Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
UTI's are rough in older folks, that can make a huge difference. Hope she continues to do well!

And common. They produce a LOT of confusion & loss of mental. I had a refillable RX for meds, that's how often mom had them.:rolleyes:They don't fully empty the bladder and they aren't up and moving, so things settle in the wrong places :(

This is a very hard time for all. Mom told me she wanted to go to Heaven, often in last couple months. Hard to hear but good to know "she was ready".

We are here for you :hugs even from afar. Glad she's "better".

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You guys are awesome and I really appreciate you! Ya'll are always supportive and it really does mean a lot! :)

I just talked to her caregiver by phone and she's doing pretty good this morning. They got her out of bed, she ate breakfast, and now her and dad are sitting in the day room. I may or may not go up today. My back is complaining and I'm kind of emotionally overdrawn right now - so I think I need a garden/goat therapy day.

I haven't been getting much of the spring break "to do" list accomplished - but I am doing a little every day.

I've got one of the four raised beds cleaned up and have tomatoes planted there. Cardboard has been laid between the plants and mulched heavily with shavings.

I'm working on cleaning out the other neglected raised beds. We have a terrible weed here that spreads by underground runners and it makes a big tough clump of grass that you literally have to dig out. So, I've been digging it out of one of the beds that it established itself in. Tough, tough job, but I've got that particular bed almost cleaned out. I've been collecting cardboard to lay down and suppress, hopefully, any other weeds that want to spring back up.

The third raised bed has two blueberry plants in it that have never thrived. My thought is to dig them out and move them to an area that I have some pine trees in. Blueberries are typically 'understory' plants and acid lovers so perhaps moving them near the pine trees will help them. If not - I'm not really losing anything.

The fourth bed has been taken over by blackberry bushes. I HOPE they are offshoots of some cultivars that I had planted, but drowned in the torrential rains last summer. If they're not the cultivated berries and are just wild ones I may leave them long enough to get this spring crop and then dig them out or not, lol.

Not trying to rub it in or nuttin'.....but our weather is just MARVELOUS! Lows overnight in the mid 40's, and highs in the low 70s. I LOVE IT! I need to get out there and soak up some vitamin D!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
X2! :) It sounds like a perfect day to spend in the garden. How is Conan doing and what's new and happening with the rest of the goats? I'm going broody here listening to you all talking and sharing pics of your little ones lol

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
They say pine needles are the best mulch for blueberries! Blueberries grow wild under pine trees in Canada :love I hope yours appreciate the change in location! Please update, I'm curious!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well dang...just dang. Pulled up one of my Nubian does a few hours ago. Her udder had blown up overnight. She delivered a gorgeous single buckling.....and he cant use his back legs. GRRRR... Most likely gonna have to put him down. Might try a little dex first just to see if there is an injury that may have caused some swelling to press on the spinal cord...if it's swelling the dex will help. I held him up and he nursed, but I'm not hopeful.

While waiting on her to deliver I got the second raised bed cleaned out. I added a couple inches of dirt/compost and am almost ready to plant some more tomatoes in there. I've just got to find enough fence panels to go around the bed so Conan and Gracie can't go traipsing through there.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, you need a day in the sun. So sorry about the buckling, I hope he gets better.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We put the little guy down this evening. Geeze, I'd rather them be stillborn than to have to do the deed to some little critter that never had a chance at life. :( But, that's part of farming... The doe had practically lost interest in him - she knew he wasn't ok. I milked her and have almost a half gallon of colostrum in the freezer. That will help some other little critter in the future.

So now I have a goat that I've gotta milk, no baby to keep her milked for me.

I got most of the cardboard in the second raised bed and some more tomatoes planted - I'll finish that tomorrow. After that I'll try to get some more of the big tubs filled with dirt and put peppers in those. Garden is happening this week! YaY! Might even get to the blueberry bushes, but not sure. I'll probably go for a visit with mom and dad for a while tomorrow. I want to see how she's doing after being on the antibiotics for a day. :fl

Gonna give Conan his bottle and get comfortable. I'm tired!