Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry about the buckling, that's the worst part of farming for sure. Do you know what happened to cause his issue? (future reference in case I ever see it)

Hope your mom is improved with meds!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is a bad feeling, having to put down a little one like that. A coward wouldn't do anything, and let it suffer, but a farmer sucks it up and does what needs to be done. Nobody likes it, but it just goes with what we do. Big hugs.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll.... I've been doing this a long time and I do know that 'stuff' happens. It doesn't make it any easier, but nothing really surprises me anymore.

@NH Homesteader - I can only guess, but my guess is that he was injured...probably stepped on. He was beautiful and perfectly formed so I have no other ideas. I didn't witness the birth, but I did see her cleaning him right after he was born and he had his head up and was breathing well. When I went back over about 30 minutes later I noticed that he was kind of floundering and trying to pull himself around by his front legs... so sad. That's when I went in and held him up to nurse a few seconds. His brain was working well because he latched on with gusto, but those back legs wouldn't work at all.

This particular pen she was in backs up to the back yard where Gracie is. I did notice the doe kept looking at Gracie and snorting, so she was a little nervous. I just thought she was over-reacting - Gracie was on the other side of the fence at least 6 feet away and just sitting there.

Cowboy came in and laid down next to the little guy and licked and licked on him.... :( I had to put him back out in the pasture. NO way we were going to do the deed while he was close. He'd already been growling at Gracie when she was just sitting there looking. He loves the babies so much.

Hopefully, he will have new babies soon.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I sure am loving my spring break now that mom is doing better!

I've got two of the raised beds cleaned out and have tomatoes planted in both of them. I'm going to try to get peppers done this afternoon.

Right now I'm watching one of the FF'ers. Her udder has been tightening up since yesterday afternoon and ligs are basically gone. She had some discharge this morning. She's breathing hard and restless so I'm gonna watch her real close. Don't want any badness to happen today. I'm a little worried because I'm not sure who she is bred to. Ugh!

Wish she'd do this thing already!

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Didn't get nearly as much done as I wanted to today - instead of gardening we birthed some babies around here. Silly doe took forever....but all is well! Two bucks...ugh. First one had a big ol' head and both of his feet were turned back. (because of his big ol' head, lol). So, I grabbed his bottom jaw and got his head through, cleaned his nose out so he could breathe, and then went back in to snag a leg. Thankfully, the leg was up there, it was just bent at the knee so I pulled it up and he came on into the world. The second one was right behind him and breech - so I snatched him out real quick before he drowned/suffocated with his head still inside the mama. I need to get back out there and make sure they nurse. The first one was up and hunting within a couple minutes of being born!

The black pygmy buck that I lost is the daddy of this batch too! I'm tickled, but I'd be more tickled if he woulda fathered a doeling or three. So, let me think. Trying to figure out the percentages of their parentage.

I think:
5/8ths pygmy
2/8ths Nigi
1/8th Nubian

Dad was pure pygmy. Mom is 1/2 Nigi, 1/4 pygmy and 1/4 Nubian

Hope the other little gal decides to deliver her baby(ies) soon! She might be carrying a single - hope not. Hate singles for FF's.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a FF who might have a single too. Not thrilled.

Glad you got those babies out! Lots of bucklings so far huh?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looks like a buck year for sure. Only good thing about that is that I prolly won't want to keep any of 'em...no matter how stinkin' cute they are. And, bucks are usually so friendly too... I've GOT to disbud little Smudge - he's two weeks old now. I'm slackin'....

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bucks are so friendly! Clifford is my friendliest goat! Hates hoof trimmings though. I'm at 4 bucks/2 does so buck year it is.

How areayour downsizing plans going? And have you had Christmas in March yet?