Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had 4 ewes lamb and I had 3 ewe lambs and 3 ram lambs. I am keeping 2 of the ewe lambs and 1 of the ram lambs. I have 3 ewes that are ready for their first breeding. The ram lamb I am keeping was born New Year's Eve, so when he's man enough, they will go into a pasture together. With the 2 that I am keeping this time, I will have a total of 9 ewes.

FEM you are well on your way to having a buck year. But look at it this way, if you had more does, you would keep more of them! LOL

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
if you had more does, you would keep more of them! LOL
True dat! I have a problem letting go of does... geeze...I have trouble letting go of any of them, lol!

Downsizing? Whatchou talking about!!??? Actually, my plan is on 'pause' until I decide who's pregnant and who isn't. I was real dumb and put that buck with the gals in February....what was I thinking?

Mom being so sick postponed getting the grandkiddos. So, Christmas in March may not happen until April. :( Or summer...or Christmas. :(

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aww bummer! Hope you have it soon!

Hmm pause huh? Sounds suspiciously like not downsizing lol! How many does could be pregnant ?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How many does could be pregnant
Ummmmm - I refuse to answer on grounds that it may incriminate me? Or should I just say ALL of them...:hide

Ok - not quite all of them. I had some of the little gals separated and some of them were already pregnant...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Congrats on the new babies! Pity they are both bucks though… A pause in the works sound necessary now ;) lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went to see the old folks this morning. Told some of the ladies there that dad would love to play dominos so I think they were going to try and set up a game after lunch. I know that would make him happy.

Mom is doing remarkably well! I swear - last weekend I didn't think she'd make it until her birthday Saturday. We'll go back then and bring her some b'day goodies.

The new babies are doing well. I need, need, need to disbud Smudge (don't really like that name - might need to come up with something else). I'll try to get that done this evening. Need to start gathering up the clippers, disbudding iron and a tetanus shot for the little guy. Yay - sounds like fun, huh? NOT!

I have so much to do and spring break is flying by so quickly... ugh. There's never enough days off to get everything done.

Back to work!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
So glad to hear about your mom's improvement. If I don't see you before then, happy birthday to her! How is your dad doing?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dad is pretty much always the same. He's funny and forgetful and tells us stories every time we see him. DH and I have heard most of them, but every now and then we get a new one. DH and I will look at each other and think, wow, he really is full of 'em!

I think the last FF that needs to kid might do it today. I hope so cuz I'm gonna be out and about most of the day tomorrow. Her ligaments are gone, but her udder hasn't changed substantially. Her udder got a lot bigger a week or so ago and it's about the same. But, it does feel a bit fuller. I'll watch her today and hope she decides it's time! And, I hope it's not black, and I hope it (they?) are female. I'd be surprised if she's carrying two, but I hope so. Do NOT want a single for a FF...:fl

Cocoa (Kinder) and Cameo (Nubian) are kicking into gear in the milk dept. I started milking Cocoa from day 1 because she had a single baby. I wanted to increase her production a bit so that when the baby is weaned she will be making more milk than she would normally have with a single baby. I'm not even separating her baby yet and she's giving me about 1.5 quarts daily. Cameo is just getting in to production and I got a quart and a half from her just this morning. That'll be 3 quarts a day and she's no where near peak production. I expect in a week or so she'll easily be up to a gallon a day and maybe 1.5 gallons by peak. That's enough for one goat, lol. I don't need any of those gals that give 2+ gallons a day!

I've got another doe, Lucy, that should kid in April. After that we won't have any more babies until late summer. Ugh. But that'll ensure a year round milk production - if I feel like milking year round. Might be time to teach my little neighbor girl how to milk! Then I might get a chance to go somewhere for a couple nights. Only problem with my plan is that they travel allll the time. Every school holiday they are gone to the deer lease. Might need to be looking for another milk maid, lol!

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And, we are officially on baby watch....silly girl might actually do this thing! Her udder is still not where I thought it would be - but it's definitely there and tight. She has a little bit of goo starting to show.... She needs to get on the ball, I want to be inside and showered and sipping a glass of wine by 6p....that gives her two hours.:fl