Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, what would be your suggestion if the air cells are NOT intact (assuming I can even see them)? Would it then be best to keep them upright? This wouldn't be such an issue if these eggs were for me. But, my son wants a duck so mama said she would get him a duck! The thing we do for our kids, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had the best luck with duck eggs. They do pretty well!
I sure hope these do. I think I'm most worried because they are call ducks. What I read says that the babies have such tiny beaks that they have a hard time pipping. I've helped chicks before when necessary so maybe with everybody's help - we can get these hatched!

Ok - lawn is mowed. Gotta get started mulching...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
So, what would be your suggestion if the air cells are NOT intact (assuming I can even see them)? Would it then be best to keep them upright? This wouldn't be such an issue if these eggs were for me. But, my son wants a duck so mama said she would get him a duck! The thing we do for our kids, lol!
Once the eggs have rested for 24 hours, candle them and tilt them sideways. You'll see if the air pocket/cell inside moves to the top, or stays in the fat end. If the eggs were very fresh when sent to you there shouldn't be much of a air pocket/cell though, so it should be fine :fl If the air cell is moving around they will have to be incubated upright until lockdown, or it's going to develop on the side of the egg, making it about impossible for the duckling(s) to hatch.

My DS wants a duck too! I really want to get us some, but right now, the backyard is far from ready for more feathered friends.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They need higher humidity but I've always found them rather tolerant of fluctuations. But I've never had call ducks either!
I don't have a hygrometer....but with chicken eggs I've always incubated dry until lockdown. We have enough natural humidity that it's never been an issue. But as best I recall I kept water in the reservoir for the goose eggs and misted them lightly towards the end.... I'm just gonna give it the best I've got and hope for the best!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ah yeah I forget about Texas sometimes lol! I've read you're supposed to mist goose eggs, so it's like the mama going for a swim and coming back to the nest. I never knew if that was true! Haha

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
image.jpg
It's a jungle out there!