Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't forget the horses!

The horses are the cheapest animals I have on the place! They don't get grain at all - they stay pig fat on graze and maybe a little hay they can steal from the goats.

How many mouths are you feeding now @frustratedearthmother ? Are you down to goats, pigs, and dogs now?
And chickens...no more quail! I like quail and someday I'll have them again...(after retirement). They aren't that hard to take care of but DH promised he'd set them up properly this time and he hasn't been able to. We have a fully automated watering system that needs to be installed - he hasn't. We have a decent group of cages that they can be separated into - but he left all of them together in one big cage. They need to be separated into breeding groups and they need a light if they're going to lay. They didn't get one. It was just bad timing for him. He works too many hours at this job and just didn't have time to make it work for now.

For the rest of the animals... More than 20 goats - less than 20 pigs, lol. I don't even know how many pigs I have - it's too hard to count them because they won't stand still and they all look alike. But - the number will be going down more quickly now that I'm more confident in my butchering skills. Also the neighbor said he'd be needing some pork when he gets ready to make sausage. Ok - help yourself, lol!

I've even got a couple goats I need to add to the butcher list. One of my Nigi's isn't breeding back so she'll go on the freezer list...and a young buckling that I'll either need to sell or harvest. It's finally the right time of year to get this done. But, ya'll know I don't move fast, lol.

Rough getting back to work this morning after being off for a week...but I'm here. We only work until 12.13.18 and then we're off until 1.3.19!! Yippee! Might actually get some freezer fillers taken care of while I'm off.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Had a follow-up at the dentists today. Told him I'm tired of this partial thingy that I'm wearing and I want my implants. Four months of healing from the bone graft....and then four more months of healing after they place the implants in before they actually put teeth on them - ARGH! EIGHT MONTHS... I'm bummed. :(

Got more free goodies for the pigs today - onions, bananas, carrots and apples. I get a decent load about every other week. They love it all except for the onions. They'll eat them, but after all the good stuff is gone. Ned to pick out the next critter to go in the freezer. I have to work Saturday morning, but might find time to tackle a little pig this weekend...or not, lol Just going to play it by ear.

I have a broody hen. Strange time of year to go broody - but ok. I think she's on about 7 eggs. Getting close to freezing tonight, but I'm sure she'll keep those eggs nice and toasty. I like this hen. This will be her second...or is it third...brood this year. She's a black orp and a really good mama. :fl

Watching our Texans on Monday Night Football. Don't want to jinx them but so far we're doing really well! Goooooo Texans!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh man, that is a long wait for your teeth! :hugs

Score on the goodies for the pigs. Mine wouldn't eat onions, ever. Bananas and the rest is candy for them though.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got some more bananas for the pigsters. They really do love 'em and eat peel and all! Wonder if it'll make for banana flavored pork?

I am so stinking sick of stinkin' mud. It stinks. It really, really smells bad. Ya know - in dry weather poop dries up and pee dries up or evaporates (or something). But, when it's been this wet for this long it's like walking through a cesspool every time I go through the mud. It's nasty and disgusting and I wish it to go away now. I'm over it. It's sucky in a really big way... :(

I have to work Saturday morning so not sure if there'll be any butchering going on here this weekend. And, it's gonna be warm. But, I really want to get rid of pig or 3... maybe early Sunday morning would work. I dunno…

Been doing a little Christmas shopping. Mostly for the grands... and I bought DH some new slippers the other day. I guess I needa get busy and do some more. Eh..:hu Kiddos are the only ones that really matter. Think I'll pick up a little sumpin'-sumpin' for the kiddos next door too. They're so sweet!

Guess I need to go find something for dinner. DH is working late and will probably be hungry when he finally gets home.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And, here we go again....

Went to the eye doc with DH today. He had a bleed in his right eye a few weeks ago and we are just now getting to the doc. He offered us the option of doing injections and "in office" laser surgery or just jumping straight into more surgery - which would be the final outcome anyway. Dec 10 he will have a vitrectomy on his right eye. Then we wait until the inevitable cataract formation that follows surgery and he will have that done. Oh...and even more good news - he needs another surgery on his left eye too!! That will make surgery #5 for that eye.

I love his surgeon though. We had to follow him to a new practice because he moved about 9 months ago. He walked in and saw us and was like "what took ya'll so long?" Even though we all agreed that we'd really rather not EVER have to do this again - but it is what it is.

And it sucks...

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That poor man. He has had such a hard time with something that the rest of us take for granted. I hope that he comes through all this ok and can get on with his life.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It wasn't something we wanted to hear - but it was pretty much what we expected. The unexpected was the left eye needing to be "peeled" again because of some stupid membrane that keeps growing over his field of vision.