Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lots of little goats coming
Most likely, lol.

Got Dusty out to the pasture today. Got Felix up front with Chester and the girls. Couldn't get the Kinder moved at all... he is not exactly huggable. So, I just left his gate open.

Brought Lucy up to the front pen. She's got a nice udder starting and I'm anxious to see what she produces. I love, love, love her baby from last year.

Wormed a few more of the does out in the pasture. When they decided they needed it - they needed it for sure. I mixed up a batch of Prohibit to go with the Cydectin. Gonna hit 'em hard. If I can get a nice hard freeze after this worming it might hold 'em through spring. Maybe...

Talked to DD today and they're loving the pork they took home! Glad they're enjoying it and makes me want to get some more in the freezer. We're supposed to get a front by next weekend I think. Might pick out one to do then. I really think I may do a female. I've got a mid-sized one in the pasture that I should be able to do myself....but I'd not be happy if I cut her open and there were babies in there... :(

The little male that loves me so much was up to his usual tricks today. He walks up to me- bumps me with his nose and flops over. Spoiled little $hit - he EXPECTS me to rub him, lol. (and I do) Guess he thinks I'm pretty trainable, lol!

Back to work tomorrow. I'm so ready for the break! I neeeeeeed it!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The parasite battles are just awful. It seems impossible to raise goats naturally. I really hope Conan helps in that department. Parasite resistance is now my #1 concern (glad my sheep tend to be good in that department). And we have half the year off that the issue with frozen ground!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As much as I hate the cold - I always hope that we'll get a couple really hard freezes that stay that way for a couple days. It really makes a difference!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We try to emphasize how important "giving back" is.

I wish more public schools would promote this. My own county is really good with that as well as teaching where food comes from, how to handle animals, gardens, etc. But we have a good farm base and Smithfield Foods began here -- still based here. Also Union Camp. Both families who began these now large companies always promoted and gave back.

Spoiled little $hit - he EXPECTS me to rub him, lol. (and I do) Guess he thinks I'm pretty trainable, lol!

:lol: and you are doing well!! :lol:

We have already had an "early for us" couple days of freeze. Not all we will have/get but, a start. Saw one of my "local" skunks running out of a field as I drove the path to DD last night. Rascal!! I wish they would go elsewhere. Guess it's time to attempt catch and relocate again this year. My neighbor in back does a "relocate" of SSS. Fine with me! We have enough to thin out the herd, so to speak.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've had a light freeze - a skim of ice on water buckets several weeks ago - but it's gotten too warm since then. Highs in the 80's with wet ground are a recipe for good parasite growth. Sigh... my never ending battle. But, I am really concentrating on the goats that have better resistance. Unfortunately, that may have me selling off some of my pretty moon-spotted Nubians... :(

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Keep that one! Lol!
Absolutely! Actually after I thought about it I remembered that I've got two moonspotted Kinders - a mother and daughter. The mother, Lucy, will probably be my first doe to kid this year (or technically next year). She's bred to Conan so we'll see which color is more dominant.

Went out to feed this morning and found out the hard way that Cameo has raging diarrhea. Found out because she swung her butt around and wiped it all over me - barf! :sick Went back to the house and got Cydectin. Checked her membranes before I gave it to her because I had just checked her membranes over the weekend so what the heck is going on here? Membranes still bright pink so I did NOT worm her. I'm chalking it up to me putting out more feed because of the two extra goats that I put in that pen. Guess her hoggy self ate the biggest portion of the extra feed. I put out some hay and she was going to town on it so I don't think that her problem is too serious. Threw all my feeding clothes in the washer so I'll have them nice and clean and odor free tonight when I feed.

Lucy's bag is growing and I hope I don't have the expected due date wrong on her. Her ligaments are even getting smooshy but I really don't think she's due for another month-ish. I guess time will tell. I'm getting excited about kidding season...need to see what Conan throws. Plus the fact that all my neighbors are ready for kidding season too - they want milk. I'm gonna set a pen up so that one of my neighbors, who knows how to milk, can pull relief milking duty for me. She loves the goats but is afraid of dogs so if I need to leave town I need to have a way for her to access the goats that is dog free.

Ok - just went back and re-counted due dates. Lucy could be due as early as Jan 2, so I guess her udder and ligaments are right on track for a kidding in less than a month. Woo Hoo - kid count down is ON!!!