Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woohoo! I've only got one potential kidding this year, should be February. I'll enjoy less stress and get to hear about all your lovely goat kids!

Yuck on the poop! Don't envy you there either!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pleased to say that Cameo is back to normal tonight - at least her appetite is. It was dark when I fed so I don't know if she's still got a dirty butt or not. As long as she keeps it away from me I'm ok with that, lol.

Supposed to be pretty darn cold this weekend so maybe a potential butchering day Sunday - maybe...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, "they" are predicting massive rains starting tomorrow. The suggestion is to gather two of all animals and start loading them on any boat available... no wait - totally different flood...

But, street flooding is predicted at a minimum. Possible creek and bayou flooding possible. Asking folks to stay off the roads after mid-day tomorrow...YAY - not!

Right now I am able to NOT wear rubber boots when I feed the back pasture critters. That's only because we have a drive out to there and I feed inside the barn now. All other pens I am still wearing rubber boots but they have at least crusted over and my boots aren't being sucked off at every step. Been that way since yesterday! Two days of not yanking my foot out of the clawing, clinging mud at every step and now MORE RAIN... I'm so bummed.

I think I'll turn out the other male pig that I had penned up to butcher. He'll probably drown in his pen if I don't, lol. He's too big for me to butcher alone so he's going back out until I can haul him to the processor or someone comes along to help me with him.

I'm enjoying having the bucks out of their slop hole pen. It was just too depressing to see them slogging around out there. That's just not good conditions for goats and it makes me feel like a horrible goat mother. Now they're running in a herd situation and everybody is so much happier! So far very little aggression between bucks. Conan isn't a dummy so if Dusty looks funny at him he gets out of the way, lol.

Finally got the Kinder buck out of his pen, but still need to give him a check over and try to get him pitched out to the pasture with the other guys. He's not so fond of getting caught. I swear - some goats are a pain in the arse for sure. I like being able to put my hands on all my goats when I need to.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nooooo to more rain! What a mess that'll be for you. I'll take 8 inches of snow before rain any day. Especially with goats. You must have good hooves in your herd to handle all the mud!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ou must have good hooves in your herd to handle all the mud!
That's the one thing that my goats seem to have adapted to! Some of them I have to trim more than others (Nubians of course) but the Kinders and the Pygmy goats do very well and I've only trimmed Conan once and he's 11 months old now.... I think I like Kiko's!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nice! Yup, kikos sound good! Is he getting any less gangly looking?