Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i eat chocolate.

Chocolate and wine! Definite storm/hurricane supplies at this house, lol. Hmmmm, wonder if I should make a batch of brownies before this evening?

I have a ewe due NOW and between Ewe Code. A storm, tornado, 80 MPH winds and rain sounds like birthing time to me!
You better bring that gal in the house, lol. You KNOW she's gonna do it in the big ol' middle of that storm.

@Mini Horses - Congrats on the new kids! Not gonna happen around here until the first part of April. Turned bucks back out with the does a couple days ago to do clean-up and looks like I've now got babies due in June too. UGH - hate summer babies - but whatcha gonna do? Maybe at least it won't be so wet then and they won't be exposed to so many parasites. Who knows?

Time to clean up the brooder and get it ready for a potential quail hatch. Tried to candle - hard to do with those speckledy eggs - but looks like I've got at least a few with some development. Not great fertility,, but there was only one male with all those gals. If I get a hatch I can sure change that ratio. Dependent upon getting a decent hatch I'll invest in some eggs and/or chicks from another source so I can get some genetic diversity.

I'm about to try something totally new to me. I'm going to try to grow some microgreens. No idea how that'll work out - but I need some instant gratification gardening right now. This temperate weather has me chomping to get something green and growing.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Chocolate and wine! Definite storm/hurricane supplies at this house, lol. Hmmmm, wonder if I should make a batch of brownies before this evening?

i was fondly remembering my time in an Ohio rental place that had no easy access to a basement and there was a weather report of a tornado sighting that was lined up right on our area. i sat there for a moment and then got out the last decent chocolate bar i had. i figured if i was going, i was going with chocolate on my breath.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FEM, same issues here....warm & sunny and I feel the NEED to plant. Also know they won't make it with another 6 weeks of winter.

Hey -- only 6 weeks, which seems reasonably short. Of course, the sun is out and we have 60-70 days forecast for another week. Anxiety.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug - Chocolate breath - I love it! :lol:

Windy, windy, windy here. Things are lining up for that big system headed our way I guess. I managed to get some barn gold spread in some raised beds. Not a good day to be tossing composted poop, lol. But, the wind helped me spread it.

I bought some bare root strawberry plants a few days ago. They now have a new home. Gonna try 'em in big pots so that I can pick them up and run away from the stupid pill bugs that always get my berries. Will it work? I dunno - but I'm gonna try it for sure. Stupid bugs are gonna have to work hard to get 'em this year!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So happy to report that I’m better!!!!

Skin update:
Arm pic Monday-
719320A6-29C2-43B9-9547-8B3F9C039B7F.jpeg

And today-

Attachments

• 8B8B69C0-18AD-42CC-A296-83449C6F5463.jpeg
    8B8B69C0-18AD-42CC-A296-83449C6F5463.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 160

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That was awful. If it felt as bad as it looks, WOW! I am glad it is getting better.

Thunder is rumbling, it came a shower, more to come! I closed the wire gap at the back of the barn that goes to a small dry lot. That way, if Ewenique has lambs tonight, she had 95% cover. There is a small strip at the gate that is not covered.
Satellite TV keeps going off and the REAL storm isn't even here yet!

Raining hard, this won't post. Satellite internet too. TV just came back on....

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As far as how bad it looks(ed)….those were the only pictures that I could post, lol. It started at my chin, went down my neck and covered probably 75 percent of the front of my torso. Only a few spots on my legs and a couple of spots on my arms. And, it was in my hair and a few spots on my face. :(

If I ever let my evil side out and wanted to torture someone - I know just how I'd do it, lol!!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@flowerbug - Chocolate breath - I love it! :lol:

Windy, windy, windy here. Things are lining up for that big system headed our way I guess. I managed to get some barn gold spread in some raised beds. Not a good day to be tossing composted poop, lol. But, the wind helped me spread it.

I bought some bare root strawberry plants a few days ago. They now have a new home. Gonna try 'em in big pots so that I can pick them up and run away from the stupid pill bugs that always get my berries. Will it work? I dunno - but I'm gonna try it for sure. Stupid bugs are gonna have to work hard to get 'em this year!

for strawberries pill bugs only eat damaged fruits. so something else is going on there.

i've grown berries here for many years and i have a lot of pill bugs all over the place, i encourage them and they are here in my worm buckets inside the house now even in the middle of winter. they do not damage the fruits.

i have deer, chipmunks, ants, beetles, birds, raccoons, groundhogs, etc. that will all get after the berries and even find some worms taking chomps out of them, but in almost every case the berry is damaged first by something else before i see either a worm or a pill bug on them. also in my observations so far i've yet to see a frog, toad or crayfish eat any part of a berry, oh and same with snakes... no sweet tooth on any of those that i can tell.

the little black beetles that used to plague Mom and encouraged her to give up on growings strawberries here, i don't have problems with them either because i pick up all rotting fruits i can find as i'm picking (along with any damaged fruits). this kind of approach does mean picking through the patch up to three times a week, but i consider it a worthy practice.

i hope you have a good season this coming year! last year was ok for me even if we had all that rain. i was worried a lot of the berries were going to be rather tasteless with all the rain we had but they mostly were good once we got past the slow start of the season.

Latest posts