Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We're much cooler this week - thank goodness! I noticed yesterday that the first tomatoes have set - yippie! I've got all my tomatoes in tubs and I haven't even staked them yet. Just too much going on. Such as: I plan to butcher a pig this morning if DH will get out of bed, lol. I need to stake those tomatoes. I am milking 7 or 8 goats...sorta. I'm trying to get a bunch of FF's milk-stand trained so those are only going on the stand once a day. I'm milking two does twice a day. Two does once a day and 3 or 4 that I'm training so I try to get each of them on the stand at least for a few minutes a day. My extra fridge is F.U.L.L. of milk. Ordered cheesemaking cultures yesterday. It's a good problem to have, lol.

I still have a couple areas in the garden that I can stick some seeds. Most everything is at least up. I finally did plant corn a couple days ago. I still have more to plant, but I'm staggering them so there's no rush to get the rest in the ground just yet.

I'm trying to streamline the animal side of this operation. Going to sell at least a half-dozen goats and almost all the babies. I've got my eye on a couple that might be keepers but the plan is to have less mouths to feed just in case there's a disruption in the feed availability. I have all the feed I can store right now - but the next time I go to town I'll get all that I can fit in the back of my truck. With the camper cover I can store the feed in there until I need more.

Want to sell/butcher some pigs also - but definitely will keep the breeders. With the processing plants shutting/slowing down I expect meat prices will skyrocket. Hope it's not worse than that. We're good on protein sources around here so not terribly worried. Just want to be sure I walk that fine line of having enough for ourselves and extended family and not too much that I can't keep feed for 'em. Right now the pigs are loving the goat milk. In fact, I've got one little pig who nurses the mama goats and sleeps with the goat kids. I've gotta stop that so she doesn't damage a goat udder or push kids off the teat. I've tried everything to keep her on her side of the fence but so far it's just not working. Either need to find a pen she can't get out of or ..... :(

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woke up to foggy, cloudy, possibly stormy weather. Not storming here yet though - and hope it doesn't - even though I'd be ok with a little more rain. We got .12 inches yesterday - not much. It's a bit unusual for us to be this dry this time of year - but it's so much better than slogging through ankle deep mud. The goats think so too, lol.

Today I'll be processing the pig that I butchered on Tuesday. She's been sitting on ice since then and she's ready to get out of that ice chest. I might can some instead of freezing it all. I much prefer the texture of frozen meat over canned - but hey - it all feeds the body and leaves room in the freezer for other items. I plan on preserving as much as I can in as many ways as I can. You know....justincase.

Nothing exciting to report. We stay at home as much as possible. DH still shops for his mom and goes in to visit her several times a week. Her vision is deteriorating so she requested that he read scripture to her and he's glad to comply.

Garden is coming along. It should appreciate some moisture falling from the sky today. Rain is good - but too much rain is not!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just want to be sure I walk that fine line of having enough for ourselves and extended family and not too much that I can't keep feed for 'em.
Going to sell at least a half-dozen goats and almost all the babies. I've got my eye on a couple that might be keepers but the plan is to have less mouths to feed just in case there's a disruption in the feed availability
I much prefer the texture of frozen meat over canned - but hey - it all feeds the body and leaves room in the freezer for other items. I plan on preserving as much as I can in as many ways as I can. You know....justincase

With you 110% on all this! Hoping things go well in next year -- yep, I feel it's going to be that long for a portion of "normal" to return. I'm already lining up hay. The grains will most likely remain available -- farmers need to grow, sell -- prices may be an issue but, really good hay can offset a portion of grain rations. I feel the grains will be more available than some of the "human" veggies. LOL I do have a farmer relation with one who raises & sells grain mixed at his farm. Good price & availability, even tho 40 miles out.

I have 4 doelings that I plan to retain. Many of the long yearlings will be sold, plus other kids, before winter. I'll keep 4 or 5 of my older does and the 4 doelings. They will be replacement milkers -- by the Saanen I sold. Still have my Nub buck. Still want 2 bred meat does & 1 buck added. Will see how that goes with prices. May find a "deal" with downsizers.

I see my canner & dehydrator being busy this year.! My stock of jars/lids is good. Plenty of bags for the vac packers. Thinking I'm ok....so long as I get the garden going well.

It's he// when we are seriously planning next winter this far out. Looks like we are both "there". This economy thing is crippling life as we knew it -- what a mess. Good thing you retired when you did because you wouldn't be working now....and retiring anyway. I'm working one job, other dead. Who knows for how long the work will last? Thankfully I do have retirement $$ coming in and bills gone -- except the tractor! -- that will be soon. Others are not so fortunate. I may be in "forced" retirement soon. LOL

Stock up on wine.... :lol:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ordered cheesemaking cultures yesterday. It's a good problem to have, lol.

Online to check prices to do this. Any good places?

Also, watched some Utube to MAKE them...ever tried that? And had to order a tiny, tiny screw for my cream separator...yeah tiny. Might as well get 3 right now!! :lol: Of course it is to adjust the thickness/amount of cream it pulls. Pull cream, make butter, use buttermilk to make meso culture. Need a screw.