Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We're having similar crazy here...74 today, it was 61 at wake up...70 sun and drop to 32 Mon morning. 🤪 :idunno rains sun night sooooo...poss light snow mixes Mon morning. Won't stay, might see slush for a few hrs. Strangely crazy. Some of our few heavy snow storms have been first week of March! Yep, march!! This may be THE year. Not wanting. But nothing making sense right now.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did sheep barn cleaning the past 2 days.
That's a big job. Glad you had at least a little help from Robert, lol. I know you worked circles around him, lol. So he should be glad he had a lot of help from you! Hope his garden appreciates your donation!
We're having similar crazy here...74 today, it was 61 at wake up...70 sun and drop to 32 Mon morning.
Yep - Maybe a light freeze will help get rid of some of the pollen we've got floating around.

Critters don't mind the cooler temps, but such a huge change in just a few hours isn't the best way to go about it. But we get what we get so have to deal with it.

Still waiting for babies. A couple of the does have good sized udders - namely Lucy and Noir. Ligaments are still easily palpable but getting lower and looser by the day. Hopefully soon! I swear every year I won't do pasture breeding again because I don't have breeding dates - but every year I do it anyway, lol. It's ok with the does that are friendly enough to let me feel ligs. Right now, that's pretty much all of them so hopefully I won't have any surprises. No pigs in the goat area these days so it wouldn't be horrible if they kidded in the communal barn area - but it's not private and clean like I want it.

@NH Homesteader - do ya'll have colder stuff on the way? I mean - it's New Hampshire so that's a really dumb question, lol!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna have lambing strung out all over the place. I just kept adding girls to Ringo's harem. Haven't even counted lately, don't remember, maybe 8 or 10? I am afflicted.

Not sore from all the barn cleaning, guess I'm in better shape than I thought.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We actually need much colder weather to kill off some ticks!
Ugh on ticks! We're still fighting fleas. We got the back porch sprayed really well the other day so that's a start.

Not sore from all the barn cleaning, guess I'm in better shape than I thought.
Don't you love it! I laughed at DH the other day for saying he was sore after doing a little bit of shoveling. He really doesn't get much of a chance to build strength or stamina though - poor guy. Every time he tries to do much physical activity his blood sugar plummets. We're working on strategies to help prevent that. Our strategy obviously still needs some fine tuning.

Feeding is done for the morning. Hay hauled to the bucks. After I grab an uber healthy breakfast I'll go back out and get some old hay hauled to the garden area to use for freeze protection for the plants. Our worse night won't be until Sunday night, but I want to be ready!

Guess I need to think about getting some black eye peas going. I'll get the cabbage started later.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There is something fundamentally wrong with being outside in 84 degree weather preparing for a freeze and needing to come back inside to cool off in the A/C so you can go back out in the heat and do more work to prepare for the freeze. It's humid as heck too.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay! Hard work pays off.

I'm in a 2.6 mile rut it seems. I woulda swore I had about 10 miles under my belt today but nope... I just worked harder while standing still, lol!

Hope tomorrow won't be terrible because I would like to make it a goat day. Weather guys say it's going to be really windy. I guess my plans will hinge on that.

I've got DH outside picking the rest of the habaneros. I think I'll cut the bush back and see if it can be over-wintered. It's on the south side of the house so I'm not worried about it tonight. The forecast has changed (of course) and I think we're only going down to 34 tonight. Colder tomorrow night. I can live with that.

I guess we won't have any good luck in 2022 because I didn't have any black eye peas in the pantry. Horrors! I have tons of other beans...maybe we'll have lima beans...or black beans...or pinto beans... or split peas...or lentils... or maybe no beans at all. I live dangerously, I tell ya, lol!