Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep - I always feel so accomplished when I gain another skill, lol. Especially at my advanced old age... Had a recent b'day and I'm trying really hard to remember that age is just a number!

Wet and nasty here even though we haven't gotten the amount of rain that has fallen north and east of us the last few days. Today, areas north and west of us are catching it. DD is in the snow/sleet/ice area that is hitting the Texas hill country. Schools are closed there. Just hope they keep their power as their generator is on the fritz.

Talk about lazy - I haven't been out to do chores yet. Slept in a bit. I deserved it, lol. Looked out the upstairs window and didn't get any bad vibes from the critters so I'll even have that second cup before I go out.

Made some major changes in the dogs lives around here. The English Shepherd girls are adamant about trying to kill each other. We've worked out a plan for rotating them in and out and various confinement areas and all things work great if they're working great, lol. Saturday, Raine jumped up on the kennel gate and managed to hit the latch just right and the door popped open. At that instant the fight was on and I'm just over it. So, Karma has been recategorized as an "inside" dog while Raine is in charge of the yard for the daylight hours anyway. That change does double duty as Karma is the world's best barking dog and she refuses to give up her title. The dog barks at everything - so in the name of peace and quiet she was the one voted to come inside, lol. The dogs have always been allowed inside at various time and for various reasons so they're not new to inside life. It's only been a day and things are already so much calmer. (And I'll probably need a new vacuum cleaner, lol)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My new puppy has met and mingled with Sentry and Sheba for very short visits as the weather is awful and I just don’t have time to waltz them around right now. I have a year to 18 months for Buford and Sentry to get along before they decide to kill each other. Sentry would wind up on the losing end and that will not be allowed to happen. They can hate each other from different pastures.

Paris and my Australian Shepherd, Polly, despised each other and several visits to the vet for stitches were necessary. I feel your pain. Both gone now, both were awesome dogs in their own right.

My whole farm is a swamp. Raining for weeks, epic storms thrown in, at least no ice and snow to add to the misery. But I’m only 20 miles away from that, so there’s that to be grateful for. LOL

I think of all the times I sat on my sugar sand hill in Lindale with nary a puddle in sight because the sand soaked up the rain or it ran off. And I think of all the times you battled the black gumbo clay. Slogging through the goopy sticky mess. My soil is a loam, mix of clay and sand. It normally soaks up the rain and hours after the rain, I can drive my diesel truck on it. Ummmm….. right now it would sink.

We need a break from all this rain, don’t’cha think?

School bus just ran, went through the lake in the road just past my driveway. So maybe I can make it out of here to go to my last day of therapy. Eh. We’ll see!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Raining again for the 117th day in a row. Roads are gone, everything is underwater, no hope in sight. Send lifeboats. Heck with that - send helicopter! Just kidding, but it doesn't seem that far from the truth, lol.

Crazy weather, but what else is new? It is raining - no kidding about that. No kids were expected as of last night. Hope nobody changed their mind. Last year we kidded in January and weather was great. This year - not so much.

DH has an appt with the pain doc tomorrow morning for the first of 3 injections. I can't wait. Even more - HE can't wait. Sure hope this works or at least gives a certain measure of relief.

Got some seeds started - probably too soon but I neeeeeeded dirt time! Fingers crossed that it stops raining and that I can find a place to put some of these seedlings in the ground.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Always loved your spotted nubs! This little dapple doeling is so weirdly cute when dried.

Attachments

• IMG_20230201_110741084_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230201_110741084_HDR.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This little dapple doeling is so weirdly cute when dried.
She's awesome. I saw dapples on her while she was still wet - but all dried off she went above and beyond in the dapple department! Gorgeous!

Looks like I'll have another couple of births soon. I've got two does due sometimes between now and the 4th. Both are making pretty good progress and I wouldn't be surprised if today is the day for one of them. Better today than tomorrow when I'll probably be taking DH to his doc appt. Depending on timing he may or may not have to drive himself.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It IS exhausting. This is what I did yesterday. Had to move a bale and it didn't go well...

Still raining today. Two does gave birth and even though the barn is high and dry - the ground inside is still damp. Not so good for babies. Adding more and more bedding all the time. Need to buy more shavings. It. Just. Never. Ends! (maybe sunshine tomorrow?)

1395DA9E-4164-46B4-8854-E5D44778DF54.jpeg
EA1D9EBE-26E5-41C3-88DE-C17C9C506985.jpeg