Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It got cold and windy again. What's up with that? I only hope that the wind helps dry things up before we're supposed to get more rain again on the weekend. We only got a tiny little speck yesterday - .02. I can live with that.

Picked up grain this afternoon. Now just need to get it unloaded. I hope those goats appreciate how much I do for them, lol. As if! I wish the silly things would eat eggs, lol. I'm overloaded with eggs...geeze! When the hens got going this year, they really got going. And, silly me bought some extra pullets last fall. I have too many chickens! I might put together some trios and try to sell 'em. I've got two roosters that I don't need so maybe if I pair them each with two hens they'll sell. Maybe... Gotta catch 'em first - ugh.

good idea! :) they may need water wings and a floating pen...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pictures as promised, lol!

IMG_5795.jpg
IMG_5794.jpg

These babies are 50% Myotonic, 25% Nubian and 25% Kiko. Mixed blessings for sure, lol!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not until they start eating, lol. They'll increase the feed bill for a minute. But, as soon as I start selling babies the hay bill is covered for next year. It's all good, lol.

i was wondering if there was a problem with that mix (from your ideal of what you are after)?

in the picture of lighter kid i was thinking it looked almost like a dog.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
High drama in the barn this morning, lol. It ended with no major bloodshed.

Generally when I feed in the mornings I take Karma (English Shepherd) with me. She goes into the barnyard area and gets a good sniffing from the LGD's and they all run off to play together. This has been the routine, more often than not, for a year or so. I didn't take her out with me yesterday or today because of the new kids. Mama goat is accustomed to the the LGD's but a boisterous, bouncy ES might be too much to ask her to accept with new babies.

Somehow Karma got through a gate and came charging around the corner of the barn where I was sitting. We couldn't see her coming from the direction she came. Bless her heart, she was sooo excited that she found me, lol. The LGD's, Missy and Belle, were outside the barn but close and they were as shocked to see her as I was. Mama goat (Ginger) sprang into action and charged Karma. At that exact moment Missy reacted and attacked Karma for being near "her" babies. I've gotta give Missy credit - she could've killed Karma in a bout 1.2 seconds if that was her goal. However, this is her friend and she showed restraint but in no uncertain terms made it clear that being in the barn with babies is off limits. Amazingly I stayed pretty calm and asked Missy to back off. I didn't scream at her (which under different circumstances would be more of my normal reaction) for fear that my excitement would have escalated the situation. A few minutes later they had kissed and made up and I removed Karma from the scene. Bet she doesn't do THAT again, lol.

Missy did her job so she wasn't in trouble for starting the fight. Gotta love a great LGD!

Latest posts