girl to girl: how many of you gals chop your own firewood...by hand?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Chainsaws aren't that bad, as long as you don't get careless. I've used one for years, and only had one minor accident, and that was my fault. And, you don't need to get a large one. I use an electric chainsaw. (I can't use a gas one, the smell triggers my Meniere's, plus they're too heavy for me.) For years, I did the majority of the wood w/a 10" electric saw.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I use a chainsaw as well, sorry gals but my hubby splits it.

He has a splitter thing - a small wedge shaped piece of metal that he'll beat into the wood from the center and it splits.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Cutting to length is too much work with an axe.

I use too much firewood.

I do split mostly by hand using a maul, wedges, and a sledge hammer.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I have visions of the chain popping off and slashing into my shin bone...or my face.

I have bad luck with dangerous stuff like chainsaws and ex husbands etc.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I've only had a chain come off a few times. And not once did it come anywhere near my leg or face. As long as you keep the chain tight, it normally won't come off. W/a new chain, it does need to be tightened more often because it will stretch.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ok, good info everyone, thanks.

I don't have to use too much firewood, but every once in a while the wind blows a tree down around here. I had one blow down the other day and block my driveway. The sketchy redneck guy cleared most of it but left a few nice big chunks of trunk b/c his chainsaw was faulty <----see why I'm a chicken??

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I've only had a chain come off a few times. And not once did it come anywhere near my leg or face. As long as you keep the chain tight, it normally won't come off. W/a new chain, it does need to be tightened more often because it will stretch.
You are not convincing me! :p

Denim Deb

Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Denim Deb said:
You are not convincing me! :p
Ok, the chain has come off on me 3 times that I can think of. 2 times it was w/a new chain, and I didn't tighten it soon enough, and the other was w/my 10" saw. It's about on it's last legs, and I can't get the chain to stay tight. It did not come even close to where it could hurt me. And, each time I KNEW the chain needed to be tightened. W/the one, I just didn't take the time to do it, and w/the little saw, I couldn't get it any tighter! But, it was the only saw I had w/me, so I used it anyway.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I have visions of the chain popping off and slashing into my shin bone...or my face.

I have bad luck with dangerous stuff like chainsaws and ex husbands etc.
I've thrown a few chains but the only time the chain should come all the way off is if it breaks. If you keep the sharp ends away from your body parts you should be OK.

A lightweight saw like a Stihl 180 will cut a lot of wood and cut it fast.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
To split BIG pieces of wood by hand you need a splitting maul and maybe some wedges ( a splitting maul is usually enough). A good double bitted axe for the bigger stuff, and a single for kindling. A small chainsaw or an electric chainsaw aren't to hard to handle either. When you are splitting them BIg pieces of wood, if you hit it in the "right" spot, the whole thing will split into perfect pieces. My DH taught me that. ;)