girl to girl: how many of you gals chop your own firewood...by hand?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Unless the wood is nice and dry without knots of any kind, it would be a hard thing to cut your own firewood with an axe.... but it can be done. Mostly, though, if you are cutting to length, it might be better to use a one man saw...less wear and tear on your shoulders.

A maul is the best thing for splitting the actual pieces unless you are splitting cookstove wood. You can get more precision with an axe for the smaller cuts you need to make.

But, unless you are going totally pioneer on us, the chainsaw is the quickest and most efficient way to get your wood cut to length. Chainsaws are not a frightening thing if you just familiarize yourself with them, Sal. Most have great safety features now that they didn't have in the old days.

I LOVE my chainsaw!!!! :D

Splitting cookstove wood with an axe is soothing, rhythmic work that I enjoyed when I was growing up....we had to split quite a bit as we used the wood cookstove exclusively for cooking all year round. I recommend it if you have problems to solve...gives you time to think and plan.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I use homemade feminine products, grind wheat into flour, raise meat, milk, and eggs and have several big gardens, I can, I sew, I knit, I soon will spin, I dig, I hammer, I saw, I build, I glean, I forage, BUT I WILL NOT CUT AND SPLIT WOOD!

So there. :tongue

:D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It can be axe or ax...either is fine...lol

I despise chainsaws also. Hate the noise too.

If I chopped wood now I would be in the hospital lol I got a back issue thing happening right now so no chopping for me ever again in my life.

Can ya just give away the few big chunks of wood the sketchy redneck guy left? Can a neighbor use them instead of you going out and doing all that work? lol

I second Free's post...I do so much, swinging that axe isn't going to happen :p

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Electric chainsaws aren't as noisy.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
with all the hard work being done splitting wood etc.....again, I am so thankful for my propane fireplace :gig

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm scared of chainsaws too, so that's hubby's department to cut into lengths but I do split it with an ax & kindling too. Although the boys will sometimes help with splitting....as long as it's a family event.

You could always offer a trade--some of the wood for cutting to length, then you split the rounds or offer more of the wood if they do all the cutting/splitting or something like that so that you both benefit.
Just remember that using a chainsaw to cut lengths is much easier than using an ax to split and firewood is expensive to buy and a much needed commodity for alot of people in this area. I'm sure you could find someone who would be willing to trade if/when another tree comes down.

PS....wasn't there a link on another thread sometime last year about the 'perfect' logsplitter.....it looked like a modified Bobcat with a long chainsaw attachment and pushed the log thru a multiple splitter and it worked so fast, like a knife thru melted butter?

ETA-or was that on BYC? :hide

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
what scares me more than a chainsaw?

a circular saw

wow I hate those for some reason lol

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
I'm scared of chainsaws too, so that's hubby's department to cut into lengths but I do split it with an ax & kindling too. Although the boys will sometimes help with splitting....as long as it's a family event.

You could always offer a trade--some of the wood for cutting to length, then you split the rounds or offer more of the wood if they do all the cutting/splitting or something like that so that you both benefit.
Just remember that using a chainsaw to cut lengths is much easier than using an ax to split and firewood is expensive to buy and a much needed commodity for alot of people in this area. I'm sure you could find someone who would be willing to trade if/when another tree comes down.

PS....wasn't there a link on another thread sometime last year about the 'perfect' logsplitter.....it looked like a modified Bobcat with a long chainsaw attachment and pushed the log thru a multiple splitter and it worked so fast, like a knife thru melted butter?

ETA-or was that on BYC? :hide
I think that was on here. I want one!

Latest posts