girl to girl: how many of you gals chop your own firewood...by hand?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yeah I think reinbeau posted it. It was like a terminator log splitter. lol

Ok Ms. Denim Deb, thanks to your persistence I'm going to take a few lessons from my neighbor's son on the art of safe chainsawing. He is coming over next week to chainsaw the remaining chunks of tree trunk.

I also did lots of online research on the smart log splitter and really fell head over heals for it. It got really good reviews. The reviews said it is built to stand the test of time too.

I just ordered one from Baileys for under $114.00--thats with tax and shipping included. eta: http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15720

Thanks everyone!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If you're anything like I was, you just might ask yourself, why did I wait so long to do this? Good luck!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I use homemade feminine products, grind wheat into flour, raise meat, milk, and eggs and have several big gardens, I can, I sew, I knit, I soon will spin, I dig, I hammer, I saw, I build, I glean, I forage, BUT I WILL NOT CUT AND SPLIT WOOD!

So there. :tongue

:D
Well then!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I have discovered I can one up Free :lol:
But just barely. I have not done much splitting, mainly because of my body having so many issue. Its healing, and in time I will do more.
We heat with wood, and go through at least 10 cords per year, since we have to use some heat even in summer when it rains.
We harvest all of it, DH cuts it to length, splits it with a splitting maul, and then I do all the hauling and stacking under the eves and in the woodshed.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Oh, BBrooks, I am so sure that you can more than "one" up me!!! :p Really! :lol:
Nah! I doubt it. At best, we are twins seperated at birth ;)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
http://smartlogsplitter.com/

I want the smart splitter - maybe eventually the holder, too - but since I have a bad back and have had surgery, I love the idea of not jarring it with every swing, and not having to do lots of bending!
Thank you so much for this suggestion. Mine came in the mail on Thursday. I finally got around to setting it up today. In about an hour and a half I split about 10 very large quartered logs into nice small woodstove sized logs and filled a 1 1/2 x 3 foot long box that was about a foot deep with kindling.

My arms are tired but if it didn't get dark so fast around here I would have filled another box with kindling.

The wood was from the tree that fell last week...so it was still green. No problems what so ever.

Quick question for you experts: My wood shed is almost full of wood, it came with the house. The former owners left the spill over wood under the eves of the wood shed. It has been sitting there for over 2 years now and needs splitting in order to fit my wood burning stove. I could NOT for the life of me split that old pine wood. Does it get harder as it ages? It may just have to be for my outdoor camp fires.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We don't burn pine in ours because it creates too much creosote, although I've heard people say if it's really aged, like 10 years, that the sap should all be gone from it. They probably set it to the side, not intending it for the house. You can burn pine in those big outdoor wood furnaces though, since they have no concern of chimney fire. Other than that, I'd save it for campfires. It's would be asking for trouble to burn it in your woodstove.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thats all we have around here in abundance. It is free so I don't complain. Every once in a while we get a nice fallen cedar if we are lucky...but mostly it is pine. We have to clean out our wood stove etc. more often because of it, but we have learned to live with that task.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Bethanial said:
http://smartlogsplitter.com/

I want the smart splitter - maybe eventually the holder, too - but since I have a bad back and have had surgery, I love the idea of not jarring it with every swing, and not having to do lots of bending!
Thank you so much for this suggestion. Mine came in the mail on Thursday. I finally got around to setting it up today. In about an hour and a half I split about 10 very large quartered logs into nice small woodstove sized logs and filled a 1 1/2 x 3 foot long box that was about a foot deep with kindling.

My arms are tired but if it didn't get dark so fast around here I would have filled another box with kindling.

The wood was from the tree that fell last week...so it was still green. No problems what so ever.

Quick question for you experts: My wood shed is almost full of wood, it came with the house. The former owners left the spill over wood under the eves of the wood shed. It has been sitting there for over 2 years now and needs splitting in order to fit my wood burning stove. I could NOT for the life of me split that old pine wood. Does it get harder as it ages? It may just have to be for my outdoor camp fires.
Now that is a neat tool!
We looked at the step splitter as an alternative for both of us.
This one looks even nicer.
Excellent price too.

I really should just order it for Dh for Christmas......