Goodbye Michael Jackson and now Billy Mays!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
They had a tribute piece on NPR and played some of his earlier stuff from . . . oh . . . the late 70's. I don't think I have heard that music since I was a little kid. It was kind of interesting, because music you absorb as a child effects you differently than the music you first heard when you were older.

Anyway, I was surprised to hear of his untimely death, but I have to admit I do not like people with inflated egos and I have a story I could tell about an encounter a relative of mine had with him . . . . I won't because there is no need to dredge up the past and I honestly feel sorry for the trajectory of that man's life. :/

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It is kind of sad when your childhood favorites go on to become someone who is less than savory. I remember just loving John Denver, then to hear about the drugs and weird lifestyles....well, it kind of tarnishes your images of them. Rod Stewart....couldn't hear enough of his music and still love it, but then there was that one scandal about pumping his stomach and what they found.... :sick

Or Richard Gere and the gerbil story.....who didn't love this man in An Officer and a Gentleman or Pretty Woman.

Rock Hudson? What a shocker!

Its a sad thing when something you've grown up with/on passes away and you can't feel truly sad they are gone.

I was very heartbroken when Jimmy Stewart died. And Roy Rogers. And how about James Herriott? Loved his books!

Those were all fellows that I admired to the end and don't feel bad about missing them. But MJ? I mourned him long ago...... :(

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, I don't know what Micheal did or didn't do, and I won't judge him...that isn't my place...he is meeting his maker now and who knows...we just might meet him in heaven. We don't know his heart. From what I have seen of him he basicly had a good heart, but he had some really strange quirks about him and got carried away at times:>)
When I think of Micheal I think of that 12 year old kid on stage, awwing the audience. I think of the little boy who got countless beatings from his father if his performance wasn't up to par. Micheal stayed a little boy his whole life, really he did. Something hurt him terribly somewhere...and he was always a victim. Whether or not it is true that he also became a victimizer no one knows for sure...so me...I am very neutral on the whole subject. But I am sorry that his life and death were so tragic

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Well, I don't know what Micheal did or didn't do, and I won't judge him...that isn't my place...he is meeting his maker now and who knows...we just might meet him in heaven. We don't know his heart. From what I have seen of him he basicly had a good heart, but he had some really strange quirks about him and got carried away at times:>)
When I think of Micheal I think of that 12 year old kid on stage, awwing the audience. I think of the little boy who got countless beatings from his father if his performance wasn't up to par. Micheal stayed a little boy his whole life, really he did. Something hurt him terribly somewhere...and he was always a victim. Whether or not it is true that he also became a victimizer no one knows for sure...so me...I am very neutral on the whole subject. But I am sorry that his life and death were so tragic
:thumbsup

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
punkin said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
firem3 said:
ticks you had me for a second there, i do agree with beekissed though his music was a large part of the 80's, but like the old saying goes, sha-na na na, sha na na na, hey hey hey, good bye!
:th Now that's going to be running through my head all day!!
Better than "Beat it, just beat it" I've had in my head since yesterday. :gig
They had a Michael Jackson special on MTV, and now I can't get "Thrillaaaa, Thrilaaaa-uh-aaah" out of my head.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hiedi said:
I have never been a fan of pop music or Michael Jackson, but I do love music in general. Now that he is gone, maybe I can appreciate some of his songs. :hu
Well, I was looking at some YouTube videos of Michael Jackson last night. I saw "maybe" three or four songs of his that I actually like (one being the song I posted earlier in the thread). That is about it for me, although I was having some fun when I was dancing to some of those songs. :lol: