Growing Sweet Potatoes? * OUTRAGE....or not*

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am thinking about starting a couple of large pots to grow some sweet pots.

From what I read, 3 slips per pot is the max....but does that mean I would harvest only 3 spuds per pot? Hardly seems worth it.

Thoughts?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I haven't grown them yet, (although I have a few SPs in water with a few slips started), but my understanding is one slip will produce a bunch of sweet potatoes. so if you do it in a pot, make sure the pot is big enough.

Okie Amazon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You will need a good-sized pot. IIRC, the last time we did SPs, we got a yield of about 8-10 good-sized potatoes per plant.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You will get about 5-10 potatoes per plant depending on your growing conditions and the space. About half will be a good size with some goofy long skinny ones and small ones making up the rest.

I grew some last year in an old little tykes toy box filled with dirt and also feed bags filled with compost and topped with a little soil.

Here is some of my crop :D
1004429j.jpg

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
do you plant SP the same as regular ones? I bought a flat of started SP plants, but I have no idea what to do with them :rolleyes: :p

Wifezilla

Reaction score
You plant the regular potatoes first since they like cooler weather. You plant sweet potatoes later. They like hot weather and warm soil.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
AL said:
do you plant SP the same as regular ones? I bought a flat of started SP plants, but I have no idea what to do with them :rolleyes: :p
No, you plant sweet potato plants, called "slips." Not just chunks of sweet potatoes, though, like regular potatoes. They like warm, soft soil. Good luck! Google could give you more details than I have.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Wifey, did you have trouble curing them? I read they need to cure for a week or two in high humidity with temps around 80-90. Not sure where I would put them!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
You need to cure them for long term storage. Since we didn't have a lot of potatoes, we had no trouble using them up :D

I will have to get creative if the new slips I ordered do well. I am going to be up to my eyeballs in purple sweet potatoes....I HOPE!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I went in search of SP slips and guess what?

THEY ARE ILLEGAL IN CALIFORNIA!!!!!

Apparently the SP farmers lobbied to stop the sale of slips because it was impacting their sales! :smack