Growing Sweet Potatoes? * OUTRAGE....or not*

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I lived in California for most of my life (living in Oregon is still a new thing for me). I remember when the Mediterranean fruit fly was a major deal (back when Jerry Brown was governor for the first time). We were required to strip our orange tree of all fruit, and destroy it (I made marmalade with the fruit that was ripe, or even just semi ripe). And then helicopters came over and sprayed malathion on everything, indiscriminately. Many people found their car finishes to be damaged after the spraying. And, of course, my organic garden was no longer organic for that year. I was impressed that Governor Brown was against this indiscriminate spraying. But it made me think a bit more about the border controls. Somebody brought an illegal pineapple, or something, into the state, and so many people were impacted because of their ignorance (or perhaps their simple thought that *this can't apply to me*). Yes, its annoying that nurseries can't ship certain things into the state, but there are usually alternatives.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That was back in 1980, wasn't it?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
When they outlaw sweet potatoes, only outlaws will have sweet potatoes.
I see that Buckeye sense of humor is poking out a little bit! :lol:

I love that they always ask you at the post office, if your shipping anything illegal or perishable or living.
"Nope, not me! Just few sweet tator slips, that's all that's in there, honest!"

Come with me son........................ :gig

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
FarmerJamie said:
When they outlaw sweet potatoes, only outlaws will have sweet potatoes.
I see that Buckeye sense of humor is poking out a little bit! :lol:

I love that they always ask you at the post office, if your shipping anything illegal or perishable or living.
"Nope, not me! Just few sweet tator slips, that's all that's in there, honest!"

Come with me son........................ :gig
:lol:

Yes, my father...... :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ah you guys are great!

Yes, truck loads of drugs cruie thru the boarder but attempt to bring home some fruit? "Ma'am, pull into secondary" (uh, that is secondary inspection for those of you who have not had the joy of experiencing it first hand.)
At the Mexico border, secondary is NOT where you want to go. They will completely dismantle the interior of your car, find nothing then look at you and say 'you are free to go' ........they walk away while you stand staring at the pile that onces was your interior.

Any who....you guys are the bomb.

Wifey, thanks for the link!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
i_am2bz said:
Oh, I'm sure that darn ol' blight knows to stop at the CA border. :rolleyes: :lol:
Like the emerald ash borer here in Ohio. In side the "zone" there were restrictions on movement of firewood in certain counties, like the moths were going stop at the county line.

Yes, I know these zones were set up with "buffer", but the point is still true. :D
OH my..... the emerald ash borer. Essex county her on Ontario had an order to cut down and remove every ash tree in this county. What a waste of taxpayers money. You were not allowed to transpot firewood out of the county, but Kent county got the EAB anyways. What a bunch of bull doodle!!!

As far as the SPs go, you can sprout them even if they have been sprayed with the inhibitor, it just takes longer. Last year, I tried regular SP and orgainc, both had been sprayed, but after months, ( I was determined) they did sprout. Unfortunately after I planted them , the pots dried out due to not being watered enough and they never produced.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
That was back in 1980, wasn't it?
Probably a year or two later. We bought our house in 1980, and I don't know if I got a garden in that year, but I remember being upset about the malathion being sprayed on my tomatoes.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ma'am, put DOWN the slips, and step AWAY from the garden...

It is illegal for companies to ship hearing aids to individuals in Oregon. The audiologists lobbied through legislation that says they are only available by prescription. So my mother just ordered it, had it shipped to a friend, and re-shipped to her.

I don't really think such legislation, whatever the reason, stops people, it just slows them down a little.

I ordered sweet tater slips last year. They arrived in sad condition, and they all promptly died. So I'll be growing my own anyway.

In the wild, the sweet potato did not plant itself in sand, then dig itself up to scatter the slips. The old sweet potato wintered over, and sent up a bunch of new shoots in the spring. At least, the ones the wild pigs, turkeys, and gophers did not eat...

You just get more individual plants if you do slips instead of planting the whole spud.