Growing Sweet Potatoes? * OUTRAGE....or not*

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Now, Dace... are you really certain that it is illegal to grow sweet potatoes in California because CA sweetpotato-farmers don't want the competition?....

...or is it possible that you might have misunderstood and the actual deal is that it's illegal to ship them INTO the state, because of DISEASE issues.

(Which is extremely common. There are lots of plants, and parts thereof, that cannot be shipped retail into lots of particular states, because of concerns about bringing in diseases that could decimate the commercial farming-of-that-plant industry in the state)

Just checking,

Pat
Well unless the guy was pulling my leg.....he very specifically said that the growers lobbied to prevent the sale of slips. Didn't say it was illegal to grow them, they have just made it more difficult for us to do so.
SPs are grown in Cali, so slips would not have to come from out of state.

Off to google.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ugh, so it would appear that Pat is correct and I have been duped. I can't find anything online about slip sales being banned in Ca.

I am so going back into that store and getting a straight answer.

Now I feel like a silly fool. :smack

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Speaking of nuts we can't import many nut trees either because of Ca. restrictions.

Ok so just one thing.

Before I know that you had to grow slips. I buried sprouted sweet potatoes in the ground. Just like a regular potato. It grew beautiful long vines with purple flowers. Guess what, there were potatoes under ground as well. Not huge ones but they grew.

:idunno

g

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
When they outlaw sweet potatoes, only outlaws will have sweet potatoes.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Sorry about maybe having been right LOL

But you know, I kind of doubt he MEANT to lie to you... my money would be more on that he just doesn't know any better. Either he misunderstood someone else explaining disease-related ban-on-shipping-in regs, or he was giving you his best but "personal" guess, or he is simply no better-informed than your average feedstore employee, most of whom give DREADFUL advice IME. (You can substitute in "big garden center" or "chain hardware store" or "pet store" employee there, too :p)

Anyhow hopefully you can find some :) Or, as someone said I think, you can try to generate your own from storeboughten sweet potatoes. It is more time consuming and less "sure", and you don't get choice of variety, but, it still would give you some sort of sweet potato if other options are limited.

Pat

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
CHiP officer: So, is there anything you'd like to tell me about before I call the K-9 officer over to your vehicle....
motorist: nope.........well....THOSE AREN'T MY SLIPS! I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY GOT IN HERE!!!!!

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I find it ridiculous that people can easily find cocaine, weed, and ecstasy but they can't buy sweet potato slips.

There is something seriously wrong with this picture.