Growing Sweet Potatoes? * OUTRAGE....or not*

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Dace said:
I went in search of SP slips and guess what?

THEY ARE ILLEGAL IN CALIFORNIA!!!!!

Apparently the SP farmers lobbied to stop the sale of slips because it was impacting their sales! :smack
Grow your own then!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I will BB, but I dunno, it may be too late. From what I have read it'll take 12 weeks before the little slips are ready to go out side!

I guess I'll keep researching. I do have a SP that I am going to set in water....in the sun. I might as well give it a shot but I don't have great hopes for it to work.

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There is something seriously disturbing about that You should be able to grow whatever you please. Honestly I would have a friend out of state buy them for me and ship them. Some laws are just wrong.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Dace said:
I will BB, but I dunno, it may be too late. From what I have read it'll take 12 weeks before the little slips are ready to go out side!

I guess I'll keep researching. I do have a SP that I am going to set in water....in the sun. I might as well give it a shot but I don't have great hopes for it to work.
Bummer :(
We are not allowed to order any kind of potato from anywhere outside our state.
We have only had one case of blight, and that was because someone planted taters from the grocery store,a nd it spread.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
chickenone said:
There is something seriously disturbing about that You should be able to grow whatever you please. Honestly I would have a friend out of state buy them for me and ship them. Some laws are just wrong.
The guy at the store was amused at my annoyed reaction. He laughingly told me to go ahead and try to order some online. Apparently they won't ship to Ca.

That really just pisses me off.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Send me your addy and when they are in stock around here, I'll send you a couple dozen. Free. Just to piss off the idiots that made that law.

NOW you know why I refer to Californication as the home of fruits and nuts. :lol: :lol: :lol:

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Send me your addy and when they are in stock around here, I'll send you a couple dozen. Free. Just to piss off the idiots that made that law.

NOW you know why I refer to Californication as the home of fruits and nuts. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:yuckyuck

'Atta boy, SKR8PN! Go get 'em!!! :clap

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Now, Dace... are you really certain that it is illegal to grow sweet potatoes in California because CA sweetpotato-farmers don't want the competition?....

...or is it possible that you might have misunderstood and the actual deal is that it's illegal to ship them INTO the state, because of DISEASE issues.

(Which is extremely common. There are lots of plants, and parts thereof, that cannot be shipped retail into lots of particular states, because of concerns about bringing in diseases that could decimate the commercial farming-of-that-plant industry in the state)

Just checking,

Pat