Healthy Fats and Oils.......IMO!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I haven't posted it before. I can tell you what I had today...

Morning: Coffee with heavy cream
Snack: 1 piece of string cheese
Lunch: Roasted chicken with skin (2 wings and part of a thigh)
Snack: 85% cocoa chocolate (2 squares). Some fresh strawberries
Dinner: most likely a salad with balsamic and olive oil and fresh herbs. I have a lot of lettuce, spinach and other greens popping up in the garden right now.

Yesterday I had coffee with heavy cream, some yogurt, chicken and broccoli soup (home made), and a salad with home made bleu cheese dressing and some grilled chicken.

Chicken was on sale so we are eating a lot of chicken this week :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I haven't posted it before. I can tell you what I had today...

Dinner: most likely a salad with balsamic and olive oil and fresh herbs. I have a lot of lettuce, spinach and other greens popping up in the garden right now.

Yesterday I had coffee with heavy cream, some yogurt, chicken and broccoli soup (home made), and a salad with home made bleu cheese dressing and some grilled chicken.

Thanks Wifezilla,

This helps us put this into perspective. It seems that organic meats, raw milk, creams, butters, healthy oils and tons of veggies (low carb versions) are good.

Grains: fermented? sprouted? in low quantities, right?

Soaked nuts then dehydrated

fermented foods like sauerkraut etc.

easy on the fruit.

Anything else?

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
But, Wifezilla, you continue to paint all carbs with the same brush, and they are not the same. I'm not going to go science article to science article with you about it, but there's a huge difference between eating a piece of stone ground wheat bread and a Twinkie. You started out saying a balanced diet nearly killed you, then you tell us you were a vegetarian - not to offend any vegetarians here, but that is not a balanced diet, whatsoever. You had a terrible time with your diet and figured out how to fix it for yourself. What you don't allow for are the individual differences of each of our diets and what is good for us. I really believe there is no one-size-fits-all diet out there. Maybe regionally something works, but that's because genetics are similar within a region. Also a well rounded diet with a little of this and a little of that, (this being fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc. and that being meat and other animal products) is what we should all shoot for, unless it doesn't work for you. It's not that I disagree with you, but I do disagree with your generalizations.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm just now trying to get all this thread read. It reminds me that I need to actually read the Sally Fallon book I bought months ago. Do you read Dr. Mercola's web posts? I believe a lot of what he preaches is true about the American lifestyle.

I met with a nutrition and wellness guide at my chiropractic office a few years ago and started to reshape my idea of food nutrition along the lines of what Free is talking about. I lost weight and felt so good. Had energy to exercise (walking miles). My mother also got off her daily insulin shots. I stopped going for financial reasons and let myself get lazy, busy, and stressed to the point that my diet is the bad American norm again, and I hate it. Mom is not feeling good again either for the same eating habits reasons.

I need a good kick in the pants back on track -- why does it seem so hard, though, when I know I'd feel so much better?

So, you think a raw meat diet would help a Shih-tzu's stinky, scaly skin issues?

Thanks, Free for this thread. :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You have a Sally Fallon book and you aren't using it?! I am waiting for finances to justify me buying this book new. (Gotta get my SO on board here y'all.) Anyway....

I think it seems hard because we will be making everything from scratch...with more expensive, organic ingredients. Expensive and time consuming. It would also mean that all of those bottles of store bought stuff need to be tossed..or weened off of, depending on your dedication.

I am watching this thread as closley as possible for tips and hints...until I get that book!! :D

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wivezilla- Your menu reminds me of something I read recently. It talks about people who simply can't lose weight no matter what they do (I suppose most changed to low-fat, but you get the idea). It says to switch your biggest meal of the day to lunch instead of dinner. It seems like your biggest meal was lunch. Have you ever heard of this? I'm generally distrusting of diet "plans", but this kinda made sense...

Reinbeau- It's true, I don't know any vegetarians who are healthy. And I know plenty. I bet it's because a massive percentage of their diet is soy.

At least I wont have spent my whole life avoiding yummy food. Like my dad says, "what a waste!" Oh, by the way, he eats amazingly "bad" and is very healthy. Cooking in grease, lots of meat, big meals, very few veggies, and he's over 60 and rides his bike to work. (Not that I'm saying not to eat veggies, but he doesn't) He honestly doesn't care. :rolleyes:

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:

What is heavy cream, is that full fat milk?

I am thinking you need to have such a massive lunch because you have no breakfast. It's really important to eat a decent breakfast.

Also there is no where near enough food in this example of a diet. I also think a vegietarian diet is great is you completely follow good nutritional principals but unfortunetly most of the vegetarians I know don't!

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Also Sally Fallon doesn't seem to have any qualifications in a nothing to do with diet or nutrition, why do so many people get swayed by someone with a differrent opinion when they have no qualifications at all?

I agree heart disease is caused by lifestyle choices, a high fat, sedentry and add smoking and you guaranteed to get some sort of cancer too.

Try being an althlete on a low carb diet, it's simply not going to work! Yes you will lose weigh on low carbs, and energy, it's certainly not sustainable for a long period of time.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I would faint away on what WZ eats. I eat tons more veggies, lots more food in general, but same idea on not worrying about chicken skin, heavy cream (LC, it is what rises to the top of milk that is not homogenized....heavy cream is the highest butterfat cream).

I agree that breakfast is so important, after not eating for many hours, if you wait until noon or so, that is far too long.

Volume-wise, I'd say the bulk of my diet is low glycemic veggies, a little fruit, plenty of dairy now that we have the good stuff, and meat that is not the leanest and several eggs a day.

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So can you actually buy cream for coffee or do you skim it off the top each time?

I don't think Iv ever heard of anyone using cream for a cuppa before.