Healthy Fats and Oils.......IMO!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
there's a huge difference between eating a piece of stone ground wheat bread and a Twinkie
There is only a marginal difference between bread and a twinkie unless you are preparing your grains like this....

"Problems occur when we are cruel to our grains-when we fractionate them into bran, germ and naked starch; when we mill them at high temperatures; when we extrude them to make crunchy breakfast cereals; and when we consume them without careful preparation.

Grains require careful preparation because they contain a number of antinutrients that can cause serious health problems. Phytic acid, for example, is an organic acid in which phosphorus is bound. It is mostly found in the bran or outer hull of seeds. Untreated phytic acid can combine with calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and especially zinc in the intestinal tract and block their absorption. This is why a diet high in improperly prepared whole grains may lead to serious mineral deficiencies and bone loss. The modern misguided practice of consuming large amounts of unprocessed bran often improves colon transit time at first but may lead to irritable bowel syndrome and, in the long term, many other adverse effects.

Other antinutrients in whole grains include enzyme inhibitors which can inhibit digestion and put stress on the pancreas; irritating tannins; complex sugars which the body cannot break down; and gluten and related hard-to-digest proteins which may cause allergies, digestive disorders and even mental illness.

Most of these antinutrients are part of the seed's system of preservation-they prevent sprouting until the conditions are right. Plants need moisture, warmth, time and slight acidity in order to sprout. Proper preparation of grains is a kind and gentle process that imitates the process that occurs in nature. It involves soaking for a period in warm, acidulated water in the preparation of porridge, or long, slow sour dough fermentation in the making of bread. Such processes neutralize phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors. Vitamin content increases, particularly B vitamins. Tannins, complex sugars, gluten and other difficult-to-digest substances are partially broken down into simpler components that are more readily available for absorption.

Animals that nourish themselves on primarily on grain and other plant matter have as many as four stomachs. Their intestines are longer, as is the entire digestion transit time. Man, on the other hand, has but one stomach and a much shorter intestine compared to herbivorous animals. These features of his anatomy allow him to pass animal products before they putrefy in the gut but make him less well adapted to a diet high in grains-unless, of course, he prepares them properly. When grains are properly prepared through soaking, sprouting or sour leavening, the friendly bacteria of the microscopic world do some of our digesting for us in a container, just as these same lactobacilli do their work in the first and second stomachs of the herbivores."

Just a guess, but I think the only person I know on this forum doing this so far is freemotion.

50g of carbohydrates regardless of the source is equivalent to 1/4 cup of table sugar. 2 slices of whole grain bread = 1/4 cup of sugar. 1 cup of pasta = 1/4 cup of sugar. 1 cup of rice = 1/4 cup of sugar, etc...

The fact that these grain items contain micronutrients is irrelevant SINCE I CAN GET THOSE SAME NUTRIENTS WITHOUT WRAPPING THEM IN SUGAR. The reason commercially prepared grain products are FORTIFIED is that the heating, cooking and preparation process used to create them destroys all the natural vitamins & nutrients that were in the grains in the first place. All nutrients required for the human body (with one exception - vitamin C - though meat contains hydroxylysine and hydroxyproline meaning less vitamin C is needed to hydroxylate proline and lysine blah blah blah) can be found in meat. Grains are NOT necessary for health.

I ate whole grains long before it became the latest dietary mantra. My blood sugar/insulin response (high spike followed by a horrendous crash) is no different with whole grains or refined grains. If people are raised on healthy whole grains (properly prepared in moderation...not as the base of their diet), no doubt they would not have to issues with blood sugar that I do. If you are relying on store bought grains and grain products, the "whole grains" you are getting are like a twinkie with a Flintstone vitamin stuffed in the middle of the creamy filling. Of course, if you are grinding your own grains, soaking, sprouting, etc... then feel free ignore my statements.

Sally Fallon doesn't seem to have any qualifications in a nothing to do with diet or nutrition
Sally Fallon collaborates on many projects with Dr. Mary Enig a nutritionist/biochemist. She is continuing the work of Dr. Weston Price. She isn't a 7-11 clerk who writes about fats in her spare time.

I would faint away on what WZ eats.
I am thinking you need to have such a massive lunch because you have no breakfast.
Ok...am I eating too much or not enough? You both can't be right! LOLOL I hardly consider 2 tiny chicken wings and one strip of thigh meat MASSIVE! My daily calories can be anywhere from 1700-2400/day depending. For the record I am 6' tall, big boned and 45.

I eat my lunch fairly early and it is my biggest meal of the day. Sometimes I have eggs first thing in the morning. It all depends on whether or not I am hungry. Since eliminating grains, starches and sugars, I am not RAVENOUS all the time. I no longer have hypoglycemia episodes and my blood pressure has gone from 149/95 down to 101/62...the same as it was when I was in high school.

Try being an althlete on a low carb diet, it's simply not going to work!
LOLOL..another unsubstantiated myth. I hike at high altitude. I also belly dance.

"More athletes have chosen to follow a low-carb lifestyle to preserve lean body mass and improve body composition to maximize their workout performance, according to a new survey presented at the 2nd Annual International Society of Sports Nutrition Conference and Expo in New Orleans, Lousiana this past weekend.

The research revealed on June 16-18 from this not-for-profit academic society dedicated solely to sports nutrition blows a huge hole in the age old myth that claims you need to load up on carbs to achieve a high-energy workout. In fact, what the study found was that just the opposite is true for many athletes now.

The survey was conducted at the 26th Annual Broad Street Run that took place in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on May 1. Participants in the 10-mile competitive race were asked a variety of questions about their training schedule regarding their specific fitness and nutrition methods. The study results have sent shockwaves through the health and fitness industry.

Close to one-third of the respondents who had 10 or more pounds to lose said they are livin' la vida low-carb to lose weight rather than following the traditional low-fat/low-calorie diets that have been implored by the experts for managing weight. Interestingly, the vast majority of people who began a low-carb program said this way of eating provided them with enormous success in their weight loss and athletic performance goals."
http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.com/2005/06/study-more-athletes-choose-low-carb-to.html

More in a minute...there is a lot of stuff to address in the recent posts.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Really, LC? It used to be the standard here, the crappy powdered stuff made from sugar and hydrogenated oils is called "creamer!" There is also a liquid version made from a chemical soup and lots of HFCS and artificial flavorings. It is frightening.

I don't drink coffee, but I use whole milk.....unskimmed raw goat's milk.....in my morning hot chocolate....actually warm, since I won't microwave my milk and I've cooked it too many times by trying to heat it in a double boiler. So I got used to it warm, love it now. Sweetened with stevia.

If goat's milk is in the fridge for 3-4 days undisturbed, I can carefully skim a little cream off the top, maybe 2-5 Tablespoonfuls per gallon. Most of the cream stays naturally homogenized in the goat's milk. I skim some so I'll have it for other recipes, and I freeze it until I have enough. I'm saving up for romano cheese and also ice cream.

The cream available in the stores in the USA now is ultrapasteurized, which damages the calcium and who-knows-what-else. I think you'd have to go to a good health food store to find good cream.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
So can you actually buy cream for coffee or do you skim it off the top each time?
I just buy heavy whipping cream. I do not have access to raw cream at this point so I try to buy just pasteurized, not Ultra-pasteurized.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
You started out saying a balanced diet nearly killed you, then you tell us you were a vegetarian - not to offend any vegetarians here, but that is not a balanced diet, whatsoever.
Like I said in the previous post, I am 45. I only spent 5 years as a vegetarian. Yes, BIG mistake, but that isn't the point. I FOLLOWED GOVERNMENT RECOMMENDED DIETARY GUIDELINES FOR DECADES. All it got me was fat and hypertensive.

I need a good kick in the pants back on track -- why does it seem so hard, though, when I know I'd feel so much better?
Because stress effects our hormones. When your brain and body are out of whack, sugary foods CAN make us feel better TEMPORARILY. In the long run, it just sets us up for worse health though. Also remember that sugars are ADDICTIVE. According to some studies, as addictive as heroine.

It used to be the standard here, the crappy powdered stuff made from sugar and hydrogenated oils is called "creamer!" There is also a liquid version made from a chemical soup and lots of HFCS and artificial flavorings. It is frightening.
I used to buy the sugar-free stuff because it was "healthier" :gig :lol:

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Try being an althlete on a low carb diet, it's simply not going to work!
LOLOL..another unsubstantiated myth. I hike at high altitude. I also belly dance.

"More athletes have chosen to follow a low-carb lifestyle to preserve lean body mass and improve body composition to maximize their workout performance, according to a new survey presented at the 2nd Annual International Society of Sports Nutrition Conference and Expo in New Orleans, Lousiana this past weekend.
Yes but how often do you hike at high altitude and belly dance? I am talking about althletes that train every day. I would consider myslef I that range, I train 1 hour weights, 2 hours cardio and then another 45 mins walking another 45 minutes Yoga. Then every second day do a good 1.5 hours bike ride/swimming.

So I need to eat to maintain my weight.

Oats for breckie with skim milk & 1/2 banana
Morning tea - 1 apple

Lunch 3-4 Ryvit multigrain biscuits with tuna/capsicum and alfalfa
2 dried figs

Afternoon tea

Handful grapes, and around 30 grams almons and cashews.

Dinner - Chicken steamed, brown rice, and veggies or lean beef stir fry, lentil soup and turkish bread.

Evening snack after 2nd weight training session;

2 slices raison toast or bowl of yogurt.

Usually sneak in a couple of bits of dark choccie somewhere in the evening too.

I eat every 2 hours so there's usually a bit more fruit in there or another snack of 3 rice cakes with cottage cheese.

I exercise every few hours intensicelly and eat between also do the usual stuff around the house which I don't consider exercise as my body is so used to it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, if you saw the garbage I ate for years and years in the name of good health.....destroyed my health! Back on track, though.

BeccaOH......Yes, it is more work, but you have to take it as a lifetime project and don't get discouraged when you have setbacks. Add something new each week, and eliminate something bad, if you can't go cold turkey.

Add new habits like spending time each evening AFTER supper doing some prep for the next day. Talk to yourself the entire time....how good it is for you and your family, how worthy of your time this work is, how relaxing it can be, etc. I found myself always repeating in my head that I didn't have time for this, it wasn't fair that dh was watching tv while I was working (he works plenty hard, just not exactly when I am....yet the resentment still snuck into my thoughts.) So you have to change the script in your head, too.

First order of business is to get rid of refined sugar and flour, because if you eat lots of fat while eating these foods, you may just double in size rather quickly!

And yes, getting your dog onto a dog's diet will very likely fix his health problems. Give it some time, and no more snacks that don't fit into what is healthy for him, either. Check out the dog food thread, if you haven't already. Keep us posted there, if you do change his diet.

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BTW I don't disagree that sugar free is the way to go, I prefer sugar, and I eat butter but low fat butter made with skim. I cook with full fat butter but always in olive oil forstuff that needs frying, although I have to say frying isn't done much here.

I don't like aspartames or colours in food or bread preservatives, but it is quiet possible to buy foods without those.

I do like skim over full fat though.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Oh, if you saw the garbage I ate for years and years in the name of good health.....destroyed my health! Back on track, though.
:ya

Me too (yeah us! :gig )

You should see what I am going through in an attempt to find SOY FREE feed for my ducks! ACK! I thought keeping soy and HFCS out of MY diet was hard. Shessssh!!!

I do like skim over full fat though
When you pull out the fat, what do you have left? (pssst....it's sugar :D )

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That is about how I used to eat, LC, and my energy is much greater now. I don't work out much, but am in perpetual motion here and do lots of heavy work....I turn the gardens by hand, mow my pasture with a scythe, stack five cords of wood, run up and down stairs a gazillion times a day, etc.

I also don't gain 5 quick lbs when I go away for a week and don't have all the exercise. I would if I had even a little sugar every day, though, even with all the exercise. That is how my body responds, sadly.... I do miss it. I can only have sugar as a rare treat, in small amounts. Thank goodness for stevia, because I still have my sweet tooth!

Some years ago there was a Swiss Olympic team....can't remember the sport, but they were medal winners....who drank bowls of raw cream while training and during the Olympics.

Good animal fats produce far more ATP per gram than carbs (from grains), and use far fewer enzymes, vitamins, and minerals to produce the ATP. So you don't need the same amount of fat, gram for gram, as carbs for energy.

But we all have different genetic make-ups, and your diet could be ideal for you. If I still ate that way, I would be struggling with my weight and have low energy, daily diarrhea (sorry...) and still be a member of the "virus of the month club!"

Latest posts