HeatherLynnKy on the farm Ranting and hormone crazy tonight warning

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As far as nursing goes, don't let anyone talk you into keeping it dry. Keep moisture on it.....either wet wraps or ointment. As far as herbals go, there are a few recipes. The one I found required a complicated mixture of herbs and not sure you'd have access to them, but it involved comfrey root and marsh mallow, among others and to drink it while taking echinecea tablets a few times a day. Also, put aloe vera, topically, with comfrey.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Egg whites are suppose to be a really good burn ointment. I hope he recovers quickly!! :hugs

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ouch, so sorry to hear!

my daughter burnt her hand pretty good not so long ago, and i alternated organic honey and triple antibiotic ointment. and it healed real well.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs Sorry to hear about your Dad - hope he's alright!

Just gonna throw this out there, for what it's worth: years ago, my Uncle was burned over half his body. In the ICU, they soaked loose bandaging in olive oil and draped it over the burned skin. It reduced the pain and he ended up with very little scarring :hu

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The pain got to him and he gave in to seeing a doctor. They are not back yet. He is very very angry with me and blames me for bringing up going but I am preparing myself for the fall out from that. Most of the family will end up blaming me for this because since we are here we should prevent everything that happens. Trying to tell either of my parents no is futile and I have no legal right to force them. They might not be able to do everything they once could but they can still think, reason and tell me to bugger off. Anywho, I am just glad he went and I will deal with the rest tomorrow.

I went ahead and called our real estate agent and called off the search for a house nearby. Near is not near enough with all the trouble these 2 keep getting into. We are finishing the basement and when the time comes we will sell our house in town and just save it for when we can look again someday. For now we are planted here. Hubby has ceased looking anywhere but nearby for other jobs. He has a job and we have the ability to wait for something better close by. We cannot even consider any of the job offers coming his way where we have to move. Its ok though.

On the upside a nephew came by and helped cut wood which lessened how long chores took today. With dad out of commission we add a ton of pet and greenhouse chores. Usually he deals with those but he is not going to be in any shape for that for a good long while. WOW is he angry about that too. This is worse than when he broke his neck last year. I love my dad but he is trying to kill me with stress I swear.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Sorry you're going thru all of this. I just hope your family wakes up to what all you go thru for your parents. :hugs

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Deb, they know they just don't care. I am the baby of the group. Everyone else was almost grown when I came along. Everyone just considers this my duty. I was born to take care of them so my siblings would not have to. My only irritation is when they call and fuss. I know its just us on this trip with my parents. I always knew it would be this way. I even warned my husband before we started dating what he was signing up for. More than anything it just hurts to see them this way, it hurts that I cannot protect them like I do the kids because they won't let me and the fact that I know this won't last forever. None of that is easy to accept for me. As hard as this path is becoming I wish it went on forever because the knowledge it will end someday is not at all acceptable to me. Its very difficult. Each time something happens my entire foundation is shaken. I can't get the picture of him burning out of my head. My dad in the middle of the drive way, on his knees, too stiff to put it out or even get out of his burning jacket on his own. If someone had not been home...........its just not easy. Every "little" accident seems like a brush with death anymore. They consider them little but they aren't really. My husband is suggesting counciling just so I can get it out now and then. Might have to consider it. It just gets harder and harder. Before if they slipped they were sore for the day. Mom just had a minor slip( not a fall) and a week later she can still barely walk. They don't want to slow down and their bodies are not keeping up well.

ok, well I have to stop talking about it and do something before I can't stop crying. All I have to say is God might be a little too overconfident in my ability to handle everything being thrown at me right now. I am not handling it well.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
My parents are getting up there in age as well, my mom's in her late 70s, my dad is in his 80s. I don't know how much longer I'll have them.

Like you, I'm the baby of the family. My sister lives in CT, my one brother lives in Germany and while my other brother lives in the area, I'm the one they call if they need anything. My brother has enough to cope w/as it is. I would love to move out of the state, but as long as my parents and MIL are still living, I won't.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well dad is feeling well enough to push the boundaries of common sense. He went out with my nephew to give the tractor a bit of maintenance. Trying me up the wall. Hubby got 3 ricks of wood cut yesterday and has probably 3 more waiting to be split and hauled in. All of it nice oak. It went down last spring in a storm and no one got around to it, so now he is getting it and chopping it up. It looks good and is burning long. I think the plan is to fill on the ricks we have ( I think 8) so he has a head start on next years wood. So 4 ft deep 8 foot wide and5 ft tall. Its a ton of wood but we will use it. We not only heat the house but a greenhouse too and all our water. Granted my dad keeps using junk wood that burns away too fast. This is all good hardwoods and apparently there is plenty of it. From what he said another few trees blew down in the last storm so he is taking them out now and they can season in the stacks.

We are going to go in the walk out basement today and figure out what I need to purchase for finishing it. It has to be cleaned out of its clutter a bit so thats a couple days and I think one more room has to be framed in. The cast iron tub is already installed. I have massive amounts of tile but will need more. Thankfully lowes has it on sale right now for .57 a tile. Not too bad. I found an old vintage metal kitchen cabinet set with a huge cast iron sink and washboard. Just my style. Less than 500 for the whole kitchen and its in good shape. We just need to get the basement done so there is more room to fit all of us. We are here for the long term so might as well get comfy.

My mom wants to build a straw house now too. A friend of theirs did and now she wants to build a cottage. Not sure how I will find time to fit that little project in but..... So far we have 2 greenhouses to put up so we can grow veggies year round, chicken coop to rebuild, basement to finish, rental basement to refinish, rental to sell, wood to cut, fencing for cattle to do, shelter for those cattle, expanded stalls for the goats, and a food cellar. Thats all thats on the big to do list so far. So somewhere in that mess I need to add in build cottage lol. Ah well. Maybe she will get so involved with the garden she will forget. My personal garden plan is to grow enough tomatoes to make my own sauces for the year. My healthier food goal for the garden this year is to can my own sauces so we stop getting chemicals from those stupid cans they come in. That and my tomato sauce is so much better than theirs. Only problem is I never get enough tomatoes from the 1 plant. This year I am going nuts with it and I am going to plant like 8 or 10 paste plants and see what happens. Hopefully I am overrun with sauce. Thats the hope.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Good grief your project list sounds about like my project list :lol: We'll get it done girlie!!! :lol: I hope things start running more smooth for both of us :)