HeatherLynnKy on the farm Ranting and hormone crazy tonight warning

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Wow, sounds like you have it together :) I can't wait to get in the dirt more. I never feel accomplished on gardening until I have the first tomato. I get so ancy :lol:
Same here the first tomato :drool If I get them by the Fourth of July it's a miracle. I refuse to buy one in the store not even the grape tomatoes. Heather if you have any lavender lotion or essential oil around take a soothing sniff it helps relax.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I buy some from the Amish if I don't have any yet. I can't wait for tomato sandwiches. I have NO willpower :p

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just really am looking forward to the fresh beets and carrots. oh and zuccinni bread, and zuccinni pancakes, and cornbread and squash. I really can't wait till the fruit is ripe. I love eating blueberries right off the bush and well i just love blueberries but I WILL NOT pay those prices in the store. I have frozen ones but its just not the same.

Oh and started developing a new frugal skill tonight. Bought me some candle wicks and am melting down all my unusable candles to make new usable ones. I have been savings broken tapers and jars with a ton of wax but no more wick ect. It might only save me $20 or so dollars in candles ( I love reading by candlelight, well and taking baths, or just thinking....I like candle light) but that's ok. 2000 pennies saved is 2000 pennies earned. I am good with that. I was even thinking that there was a huge box of broken tapers at the church that we were going to toss. I am going to use those to teach our girls group at church how to make candles. My uncle does this in his garage with an double boiler his wife no longer wanted, a can as his mold and a campstove. Yes insanity is hereditary in this family. Anywho, its going to be fun.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Next month, we're going to be making sand candles for our 4-H craft. We'll use a 1/2 gallon container filled w/sand to make our mold, then melt down old candles, pour them in, and add a wick.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Anyone mind if I act like an insane person for a bit. Ok well check the news online and I see this nuclear threat. Blah blah blah same as usual but then I got to thinking. it could happen. We never thought 9/11 could. Now I am not about to start digging a hole to stick the family in or anything. It just made me think about how self sufficient we really are. Yes right now we could keep the house warm without electric. We could cook outdoors I guess, not a big deal. Toilets would be an issue. i guess we could pull a bucket out. I should read up on composting toilets. We have a friend and thats all they have.

We live in a concrete house. The only floor not encased in concrete is the 3rd floor. So I think most storms or bad things should be kept out. We do have what I would call a semi panic room. It needs its door installed still and our pantry is located inside. So pretty prepared i think on that front. Sorta. Food we would have enough in the cement safe room to last at least 6 months. Thats not too bad right? All walls including the inside wall on the safe room are cement. Ok yes I am sorta nuts. My dad did not want his grandkids swept away in a tornado. He is a bit extra paranoid about protecting his babies. Anywho.....

Could we take extra people in? I don't know. It would lessen how long we could last on what is stored but we have fruit trees and such and wild animals, stocked pond. Of course if there was something like nuclear.....well that could be pretty bad. We have no water cache or anything. We do have a spring fed pond but I would not drink from it ever. We have talked about finding ways to tap that spring. We actually have several springs around, I think water is a weak spot for us. I have rain barrels bought but nothing has been done to set them up yet.

So toilets and water. Staying healthy and getting healthier is a HUGE concern for me and one that is actively being work on. My mom is freaked out by the superbug issue. My sister is determined that someone she knows died from it. She had pneumonia and was in the hospital for a while with it. They released her and she was finishing off her antibiotics at home. Within 24 hours they found her dead with blood coming out of her mouth. I am not freaking out but my sister had mom so frazzled the woman could not sleep. Why she would share that story with someone already scared I don't know. My parents are in their late 70's and all this new stuff is uncomfortable for them. I'll just keep shoving garlic down everyone and relax. I told her i do all i can to make sure we all stay healthy and don't need antibiotics and I won't be depending on them so we are fine.

So i am not all freaked out or worried but I have taken a good hard look at what we are doing and have focused on some weak spots. Now if I can just get prepared for that dang zombie apocalypse.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Well, though I do prep to a large degree, it's more of a hedge against inflation/financial issue for us. NOBODY is gonna get out of this life alive ;) We're all gonna die. It does seem some folks have trouble reconcilling with that fact. I feel bad for your mom, living in fear of some super bug, that's sad :( I don't mind if ya act a little crazy for a bit....I like to think it helps folks fit in around here, so go for it :D Getting nuked would be a quick way to go, so long as you take a direct hit from it, if it were to ever happen :hu It'd be better than a lot of other death scenarios, and yeah, I've thought about it :p I'd hate to survive a nuclear attack!! That's when folks suffer from it, with radiation poisoning, and dying slowly...it's really bad. Anyway, if you want to run the gamut of TEOTWAWKI scenarios, watch Fringe. There is everything from radiation poisoning to rips in the space time continuum allowing for all kinds of dramatic worst case scenarios, and super bugs, lots and lotsa super bugs. Just don't let your mom watch it ;)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You forgot to add The Walking Dead. I admit that it's my guilty pleasure when it comes to the zombie apocalypse.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I worry about mom. Getting older and everything being in chaos is a bit hard on her. She lived in occupied Austria and grew up on stories about war and hard times over there. It was not a pretty time. The older she gets the more she seems to remember what her mother and grandmother talked about.

I am actually feeling pretty easy about it. I have children so I worry about all sorts of things of course but I am up on my hill and we are provided for. Its all good.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
You forgot to add The Walking Dead. I admit that it's my guilty pleasure when it comes to the zombie apocalypse.
That show's a never-miss-it here too! DS and I even got DH hooked on it now :p

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I wonder how long you can go on abbreviated sleep. Sigh. I have too many battles on too many fronts. Not sure which one to hit next. I am still dealing with this hormone stuff on top of everything else. I really feel most of these physical things we face is dietary I swear. No meds just supplements and dietary I have managed to improve and alleviate so many things but obviously I am still fighting some stuff. Finding that right balance that my body needs is not easy. Doctors just want to give more pharma meds and surgery. Geez its not, so much healing is available without causing harm and its ignored. More than a little frustrating.

So on my list of things to grow something was added. I want to grow oats. Someone suggested oatstraw tea and in reading up on it, this stuff is very nutritious too. Very. Not easy to get locally but it can be ordered and pretty affordably too. But me being me does not want to depend on that. I want to be able to get it local so I was thinking of adding this to my list this year. I am always trying to find new ways to make the farm take care of us better. I figure I take care of it, it should take care of us too. I wonder if my husband would make me a tea garden? That would be wicked useful.

Its funny the progression my life has taken. I started out pretty average. Lots of debt, unhealthy, going to the doctor all the time, stressed. Normal person. Then I started this debt free thing, which lead to frugality, which lead to self sufficiency, which lead to natural eating. Its an interesting path and our lives have improved but I would have never thought that getting rid of some plastic( cards) would lead to all this. I sorta wonder whats next

Latest posts