Hen23's Journal~Goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Thanks!
Preparing for a horrifyingly hot day. I have to go to the DMV to have my license renewed- a/c
Need to return books the library and pick out some good ones for camping next week-a/c
Attack Mt. "Washmore" so we have clean clothes for camping-a/c
Continue to clean, sort, purge and organize DS's romm-a/c
Lunch= leftover chicken salad- no a/c but no stove either
Third Thursday Street Fest this evening- hot pavement, crowds, no a/c- PASS

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
License done. No lines no waiting no fair! A/C that I didn't get to enjoy for long........
Library done. Took my time finding some books for the beach next week.
Grocery store done. Short list but took my time there too.
Laundry is never done, but everything that is clean is put away. Load of whites ready to go in tonight after 8.
Riding lesson at 5. That is going to be h3ll.
We put up our new tent yesterday and sealed all the seams. It needs to come down and get packed back up but that will wait until after dinner when it "cools off".
I think I may sneak in a nap!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Yes, it IS hot! We're only letting the kids out for like 30 minutes at a time and they hate being penned in the house. But, we caved and gave them the rare TV treat, so they're all happy munching on popcorn! and drinking lots of water!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Yes, it IS hot! We're only letting the kids out for like 30 minutes at a time and they hate being penned in the house. But, we caved and gave them the rare TV treat, so they're all happy munching on popcorn! and drinking lots of water!
Sounds similar to here. Let DS in the kiddie pool to cool off then made him come in. He was treated to an all natural ginger ale and some popped sorghum (corn allergy) and is watching some junk on TV that is stupid but otherwise harmless. Not a typical summer day around here! I'll kick him off the TV and have him hang out in his room with the window a/c unit on for a while. Poor thing has a riding lesson at 5. Well, he knows he's lucky he gets to ride, but in this heat it's not a lot of fun.
Goign to get a glass of water myself. Thanks for the reminder!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
its sneaky hot though, theres like this wind comming through here that indicates that wonderfull summer breeze when you look out the window...but you go outside and its hot, and sticky and blowing hot air at you *yicky*

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Yup, that's a good description. Being in the riding ring watching DS was pretty awful. All the breeze did was blow dust onto our sweaty skin. Will post pictures later, he got to ride the big draft horse for the first time in a lesson. Almost got bounced right off when he cantered! :ep

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We have a digital thermometer mounted under the rafters on our back porch - in the shade. When I checked it today it read 115 F!! :th

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
We have a digital thermometer mounted under the rafters on our back porch - in the shade. When I checked it today it read 115 F!! :th
I was afraid to look!! We're not as hot as Ohio, maybe 5 degrees cooler (or maybe 'less hot' is a better way of putting it). But it's hot.
This was DS's first time riding the Shire for a lesson. That's a lotta horse for a little kid! But he's a great horse and DS had a blast riding him. He even survived that canter that almost bounced him right off. Dust was flying, DS grinning, I got a picture but it looks awful, like I put my kid in danger up there! BTW, I did go get his sunglasses out of the car right after this. It was brutal out there!
IMG_3532.jpg

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
What I see is a safe rider. :thumbsup

Proper boots and helmet, good seat demonstrated by the straight line going from ear, through shoulder, through hip to heel. Decent leg although his heel could be lower. I imagine that is hard on such a wide horse. He could also lower the hands just a tad bit. He should have a straight smooth line from bit to elbow. The horse is balanced pretty well also.

It takes a lot of elements working together to keep a rider safe and your kiddo looks pretty darned good for the short time he has been riding. :cool:

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
side note:*drools over horse*

i LOVE drafters, my grandad used to work the shire horses in the uk that were used ot haul the barrels to the brewery...grew up bare back on those things...never got to ride them...but pretty much spent the days using them as beds and couches lol.

he looks quite at home up on that big baby...other than the fact that it almost looks photoshopped LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.