Hen23's Journal~Goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Will do.
On another front: I just went out to check on things. I've got the ducklings in with the big birds hoping everyone gets along. One of the babies was getting that angel wing look so I wanted them out moving around and not cramped in their corner of the barn anymore. Anyway, while I was out there, Quackers, the missing duck appeared from over by the garden/hay shed. Now, we had looked in there as well as we thought we could and didn't see her but now I was really suspicious that she has eggs in there. I've seen the other ducks hanging around the doorway which should have been the tip off. They were casing the joint, ducky style! I sat on the deck and watched her. I had left out a dish of food and a big bucket of fresh water. She ate and drank and preened for the longest time then started heading back toward the shed. In the time that it took me to get out of my chair and down the stairs I lost sight of her!!! :he :barnie I looked all through the shed and finally got mad and started pulling stuff out. And there she was, in the corner behind a bunch of junk on a PILE of eggs. She's still there because I can't get through the junk to get to her. I don't think she's been on the eggs more than 3 days at this point so I think we'll take them from her. But now DH is going to have to believe me that we need to fix the door so they can't get in there. Not that they won't find another spot......

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Couldn't you let her hatch them and then just give them away for free??? :hide

Kinda mean but I totally understand.

So cool for dh to be on tv. Remind us again before the show airs.

g

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I will!
I know it isn't very nice, but I don't know how successful we'll be giving them away and when only two of the last batch hatched we ended up keeping them... and DH is just really not a fan of our ducks... I think if I don't take the eggs, he will. I feel really bad about, here Quackers is watching Edna with her two little babies and thinking how cool it would be to hatch some of her own. Sigh, tell me I'm humanizing them!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for a determined broody so I can't help. I say let her hatch em :hide

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I'm a sucker for a determined broody so I can't help. I say let her hatch em :hide
I guess if I'd done it before (found homes for the ducklings after they hatched) I'd feel more confident about it. Neither of us wants more ducks and we worry about getting stuck with them. :/

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Any ducks I can't sell are going in the freezer. Free food!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.