Hillbilly Housewife site

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
real butter all the way.

my SIL daughter brought home a list of ingredients. not one word could be pronounced and even recognized by my SIL but she knew it was chemcial words.

the assignment, guess what this ingredient list was......

COOL WHIP

my SIL never bought that ever again.

Something so innocent like cool whip is so fake it is unreal. what is it really? LOL..who knows? but I wouldn't think by looking at the packaging that it was one step from "plastic" or something also..LOL

that was an assignment in Health/Nutrition class.
OH NO I LOVE COOL WHIP!!!!!!!! :th guess I won't be getting that anymore :(

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Zenbirder said:
When I was a kid (under 10?) my family had butter and margerine both in the house. The butter was a lot more expensive, so my Dad made me take a blind taste test to prove to him that I could tell the difference. I aced the test and was allowed to eat the real stuff after that :D
I so agree with reinbeau on the ultimate cost of the cheap stuff. The one that gets me is the artificial coffee creamers. If there is no real cow, the I'll take the coffee black thank you!
I'm with you. I used to use that stuff until I watched them build a giant flame thrower with it on Myth Busters. I'll pass on the black coffee though and just have some tea with honey thanks. :)

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm a black coffee kind of guy myself, so I don't worry much about the creamer vs. milk issue.

BUT! When, on occasion, I want sweet milky coffee, I use sweetened condensed milk. Absolutely delicious in coffee, and keeps in a sealed container in the fridge for months, so no need to worry about it going bad. It's really good in strong black tea as well. Mmmm.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I switched over to making my own whipped cream....so simple to do and delish! I used to eat tons of cool whip, HA HA, I should glow in the dark or something..HA HA

Just trying to avoid so many chemicals in the foods. I am doing well. Cut alot of junk out of my life, but don't get me wrong, if cool whip was at a party on a piece of cake....I would be eating it..HAHA

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
When it comes to butter vs. margarine, I trust a cow over a scientist any day!

I just got 1 lb packages of butter at Safeway Sun for $1.99(limit 2) & soon it will be on sale for the holidays around here for no more than $2.50/lb. That is when I stock up on it & put it in the freezer.

hoosier girl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I wondered about freezing butter...how it would be after it thawed out. The local Walmart here runs a sale on the 'no name' butter every once in a while for $2.00 a pound. Next time it goes on sale, I'll get extra and put it in the freezer. How long will it keep in the freezer without changing the taste/quality?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
yea I switched over to making my own whipped cream....so simple to do and delish! I used to eat tons of cool whip, HA HA, I should glow in the dark or something..HA HA

Just trying to avoid so many chemicals in the foods. I am doing well. Cut alot of junk out of my life, but don't get me wrong, if cool whip was at a party on a piece of cake....I would be eating it..HAHA
You know what, eating in a healthy way is great and all that, but I think our bodies are a lot more resilient than sometimes given credit for, and the occasional serving or three of Kool Whip is NOT gonna kill you. I say go for it :)

(I have this weird recipe from my parents' next door neighbor, who has this strange genius for reading womens-magazine recipes and sussing out the 0.05% that actually come out GOOD... it is a fake key lime pie, consisting more or less of 'you take key lime juice, mix it with kool whip, and then freeze in a pie shell'. Mmmmm. My favorite recipe of hers is, you take chicken parts, marinate 4-8 hrs in a 50-50 mix of soy sauce and grapefruit soda pop [I use actual grapefruit juice] then broil or grill. Go figure)

Pat

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
hoosier girl said:
I wondered about freezing butter...how it would be after it thawed out. The local Walmart here runs a sale on the 'no name' butter every once in a while for $2.00 a pound. Next time it goes on sale, I'll get extra and put it in the freezer. How long will it keep in the freezer without changing the taste/quality?
I dunno, my experience is that the super-cheap butter doesn't have very good taste/quality to begin with... :/

Butter you usually figure will freeze fine for like 6 months before it starts to get somewhat rancid (affects taste and nutritional content), although you can certainly eat somewhat older butter if necessary. I would not push my luck with discount butter though, as it is probably not in the best shape to start with.

JME,

Pat

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree, Pat... a lot of those silly recipes with the Cool Whip and stuff are actually pretty darn delicious, and as long as you don't overdo it, I say go for it.

I generally keep some packets of "Dream Whip" in the cupboard... basically it's like Cool Whip but you make it by adding milk and whipping with the mixer. Long shelf life, and I like that it's made with actual milk, even though it's still chemical laden.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like the Kool Whip mixed with Jello. I could eat that for breakfast, lunch AND dinner. This is why I don't keep it in the house. I agree that you can eat stuff like that ON OCCASION without any ill effects. It's just when it becomes part of your daily diet that it starts to build up in your arteries.